View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 12:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
I need some input from you on how you would handle this:

Girls varsity game, about 5 minutes left. Team A is behind by about 35. Foul called and A1 goes to the line for 2 shots. A2 asks the coach to come out of the game so he sends a sub to the table as a replacement. A1 goes towards the bench and I tell her to stay on the court and we will sub after the first shot (I am trail in a three person crew). As A1 gets ready for the first shot the coach tells A2 something. She walks over and puts her feet on the 3 point line just about (and maybe below) free throw line extended. We ignore it. After the first fouls shot he walks over to me (in the box) and says "That was a violation". I say "You mean, on YOUR player, coach?". He says yes and wants to know why I didn't call it. It finally occurred to me he did this on purpose. Then he tells me that he doesn't care how much they are losing by, we better start calling the game because we haven't called a thing all night. I assessed a technical against him because my opinion was that he was showing up our crew by what he did. I don't have any doubt he was showing us up, but I'm not sure a technical was really warranted here. Our fourth official (waiting for the boys varsity game) said, based on the game circumstances and the score he probably would have ignored it and continued on with the game. I appreciate any thoughts you may have on how to handle this in the future? Also, if you call a T and then question yourself afterward, do you ever tell the coach after the game that you may have blown it? Thanks.

[Edited by johnnyrao on Feb 8th, 2005 at 12:53 AM]
I wouldn't even address the "violation" but I would call the technical on his comment. You have no reason to question yourself.

If anyone doesn't think the coach is trying to show up the crew, I have some swampland in Wisconsin I'm trying to unload.