The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

I had a rec basketball game today, 6th grade boys. Team A is down by about 20 when one of their post players (a big kid - bigger than me, and I'm 5'7") catches the ball on a fast break. He stops in the middle of the lane, but a quick defender gets in beside him before he shoots. I'm lead. The kid picks up the ball in one hand, takes about a step to his side and reaches out to push the defender. I called an intentional, and he takes a few steps toward me and starts screaming "What? What? What?" at the top of his lungs. I called a technical.

I still feel a little funny about all this, so I was wondering if you vets could give me a little advice on what you would have done in this situation.

Thanks

Sara
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

EXCELLENT!!!

You done good!
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Well done!
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
The kid picks up the ball in one hand, takes about a step to his side and reaches out to push the defender. I called an intentional, and he takes a few steps toward me and starts screaming "What? What? What?" at the top of his lungs. I called a technical.
This kid has the ball and pushes the defender... Sounds like a PC foul to me... Not an intentional... Then on the other hand I wonder if we have a travel with the step.. If we had a travel, then wouldn't we have a violation and any contact during a dead ball would either be incidental or a "T"???

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Intentional all the way, from the sounds of it. If a player pushes to create space, it's one thing. But when he makes a concerted effort just to shove someone, an intentional is a good option.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Sara,
I won't comment on the first call because from your description I can't tell if it is a push off to gain advantage for a shot, or a stupid push because of frutration, etc. You have to use your best judgement and call what you see. As for the T - a good whack. Hopefully he'll learn from it.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

In a 6th grade rec league, no hesitation. Good T.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I think revref nailed it.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

"reaches out to push the defender"

By using the phrase above, it gives the indication that a PC may have been a more appropriate call. If you would have said "shoved", an intentional would be more in line. Was the defensive player knocked backwards or to the ground as a result of the offensive player ?

However, as others have stated, we were not there to see the play.The "T" was certainly the right call.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 04:22pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I think revref nailed it.
A ChuckElias sighting! Haven't heard from you in awhile, hope you're doing good. Anyways, good T, you can't allow that to go on, if you do, it's only going to get worse and worse! Good job.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I had a rec basketball game today, 6th grade boys. Team A is down by about 20 when one of their post players (a big kid - bigger than me, and I'm 5'7") catches the ball on a fast break. He stops in the middle of the lane, but a quick defender gets in beside him before he shoots. I'm lead. The kid picks up the ball in one hand, takes about a step to his side and reaches out to push the defender. I called an intentional, and he takes a few steps toward me and starts screaming "What? What? What?" at the top of his lungs. I called a technical.

I still feel a little funny about all this, so I was wondering if you vets could give me a little advice on what you would have done in this situation.

Thanks
Not a vet, but T him up every time for crap like that.

I called a 11/12 yr old boys game. Gave the coach a warning on one of his players. His dad came up to me afterwards, not angry or anything, wanting to know and understand my position/reasoning. His kid is very good and knows it. I told the dad if it were a HS game I would have. 20/20 hindsight....I should have T'd him.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

I called the intentional because he went out of his way to push the other player, did so roughly. In fact, he had a clear shot at the basket, but gave it up to step over and push his opponent.

The technical I was a little iffy about at the time, because my partner said he did not think the player's actions were unsportsmanlike, and he is much more experienced. Of course, today I remembered him telling me he had never called a technical foul before, so I'm not sure what he expected.

Sara
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I called the intentional because he went out of his way to push the other player, did so roughly. In fact, he had a clear shot at the basket, but gave it up to step over and push his opponent.

The technical I was a little iffy about at the time, because my partner said he did not think the player's actions were unsportsmanlike, and he is much more experienced. Of course, today I remembered him telling me he had never called a technical foul before, so I'm not sure what he expected.
Sounds great to me, Sara! Intentional, yes! Technical, yes!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I am still wondering about that step.... Was it a legal pivot and then the push?
Something about the way it's been stated twice, makes me think that there might be a possible travel violation here before the push... Could you clarify this point Sara?

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

It was a legal pivot, so no travel then a T for dead ball contact. I thought of that at the time.

Sara