The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Hi everyone.

I had a situation in my last game that I've heard varying opinions on, so I wanted to see what those on the forum thought.

I was officiating a modified girls game last week. The home team was much stronger and more skilled than the visitors. Throughout the first half, my partner (a long time veteran) and myself (a first year official) called a number of fouls on the visiting team. They were hitting arms on the shooters and reaching in on the dribblers.

Late in the first half, the team foul count was something like this: visitors - 9, home - 1. The visiting coach was upset, even stating out loud "Is it inconceivable that the other team doesn't commit any fouls?" My partner had him quiet down.

Here's the thing - the home team was doing a lot of driving to the basket and the girls would get banged on the way up. The visitors, on the other hand, would settle for outside jump shots that the home team did not challenge much.

I've heard some officials say in a situation like that you need to make some changes quick, and find some fouls on the home team to even things up ("game management"). I don't think this is right - even though it is uneven, I believe if that's how the calls are going then that's that. I feel the coach was wrong - it is perfectly conceivable you could have a 9-1 team foul situation. Granted, it may not happen often, but still is plausible.

Is this something that's more of a concern at the higher levels? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. Was a little nervous during the game, as our board's interpreter was there (having a girl on the home team), especially when the foul situation developed. It was encouraging to hear from him at half time and at the end that I did a good job.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

"Game management fouls" should not be called just to offset a difference in the count. That's even more evident in a situation such a this.

BTW, in what way were these girls "modified?"
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:37pm
M.A.S.H.

If you go looking for fouls and what not, you're not calling your game. "Game management" fouls should never be called, call'em like you see'em. Remember: you don't count them, you call them!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Don't say, "Reaching in," EVER.

As for game management fouls, it is a tough situation. It's more of a frustration thing than a foul count issue. Teams will reach a point where they are feeling like it is 5 on 7 (8) out there, and hard or flagrant contact may occur.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcurtin
The visiting coach was upset, even stating out loud "Is it inconceivable that the other team doesn't commit any fouls?" My partner had him quiet down.

Of course, with a comment like that, I'm probably bringing out the T.

Quote:

Here's the thing - the home team was doing a lot of driving to the basket and the girls would get banged on the way up. The visitors, on the other hand, would settle for outside jump shots that the home team did not challenge much.

Tell the coach that! A coach/player who understands the game will understand your calls, and respect that you can read the situation like that.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by jcurtin
The visiting coach was upset, even stating out loud "Is it inconceivable that the other team doesn't commit any fouls?" My partner had him quiet down.

Of course, with a comment like that, I'm probably bringing out the T.

Quote:

Tell the coach that! A coach/player who understands the game will understand your calls, and respect that you can read the situation like that.
Does this mean we cannot enter a battle of wits with death on the line?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:14pm
Esteemed Participant

Recent conversation betwwen Coach and myself...
"Hey, the foul count is 9-3. Do you think that's fair? You need to even it up!"

"Well coach, the score is 32-10. Would you like me to even that out also?"

"We're ahead because my kids are playing hard!"

"And that's why the foul count is 9-3, coach."

Really didn't hear anything more from that coach that evening...sometimes the foul count just ain't gonna be even.It's never been our job to keep it even...be aware ot if, yes, but not keep it even.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Remember: you don't count them, you call them!
I used this as a reply to a coach who's team had 10 fouls when he asked me if I thought his opponents really only had 2 fouls.

The only reason I knew the foul count at the time was a fan "brought it up to me" on a free throw a few minutes earlier.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for all your thoughts, everyone. Now I'll feel more confident if I get in a situation like that in the future.