The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I want to make sure I am teaching my players correctly. Normally we 3/4 front the post but from time to time I'll have a girl who wants to do it "her way" and will play behind. Invariably, the opponent finds this post player and feeds her the ball. I have been teaching my girls that when they square and shoot, you're only recourse is to stand tall, put your hands stright up and hope she can't shoot. I've used the analogy that there is a plane of glass between the two of you and if you break it, chances are you'll be called for a foul. Any thoughts?

And as always, be gentle.

coachgrd
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Defense can also jump straight up.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not a bad analogy coach, but there can be a little contact and contact is expected. But if a defender is overly aggressive on a helpless shooter, then a foul is likely to be called on them. If the shooter jumps into them, either a no-call or a PC foul is likely.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
All about verticallity, baby.

That's my Dickie V impersonation.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you, Coach.

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgrd
I want to make sure I am teaching my players correctly.

I have been teaching my girls that when they square and shoot, you're only recourse is to stand tall, put your hands stright up and hope she can't shoot. I've used the analogy that there is a plane of glass between the two of you and if you break it, chances are you'll be called for a foul.

coachgrd
You are right in my book, coach. It isn't easy to block a shot on this type of play w/o a foul. In fact, it isn't all that easy to block a shot anytime.

Just tell them that when the "glass breaks", any contact after that is likely to be considered a foul on the defense.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thank you, Coach.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
Quote:
I want to make sure I am teaching my players correctly.

I have been teaching my girls that when they square and shoot, you're only recourse is to stand tall, put your hands stright up and hope she can't shoot. I've used the analogy that there is a plane of glass between the two of you and if you break it, chances are you'll be called for a foul.

coachgrd
You are right in my book, coach. It isn't easy to block a shot on this type of play w/o a foul. In fact, it isn't all that easy to block a shot anytime.

Just tell them that when the "glass breaks", any contact after that is likely to be considered a foul on the defense.
I have to disagree - it depends who "breaks the glass". The key to making the call is refereeing the defense. If the defender simply maintains position and doesn't initiate or escalate the contact, then as Jeff said it's either nothing or a PC foul on the offense, depending on the nature/severity of the contact.

Unfortunately, what usually happens is that the defender may initially put their arms straight up as you try to teach them, but will then take a swipe at the ball, possibly initiating illegal contact with the offensive player & drawing a foul call.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Another very common foul with regards to post play is when the player does a great job of getting their hands straight up but then steps toward the shooter as they go up. As everyone else has said, thanks for taking time to ask. I'm sure it helps your team on the floor.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I want to make sure I am teaching my players correctly. Normally we 3/4 front the post but from time to time I'll have a girl who wants to do it "her way" and will play behind. Invariably, the opponent finds this post player and feeds her the ball. I have been teaching my girls that when they square and shoot, you're only recourse is to stand tall, put your hands stright up and hope she can't shoot. I've used the analogy that there is a plane of glass between the two of you and if you break it, chances are you'll be called for a foul. Any thoughts?

And as always, be gentle.

coachgrd
Good job coach, but watch them and look for a few things that will get them in trouble, even with your good coaching.

The, "I'm not worthy," chop and back to vertical arm motion.

The "bellying up" on the shooter. Looks like a reverse C for the golfers out there.

The "step up" which is similar to the "bellying up" but has feet moving the body into the shooter.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Thank you, Coach.

[/B][/QUOTE]
from TimTaylor

I have to disagree - it depends who "breaks the glass". The key to making the call is refereeing the defense. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, you realy do agree with me. I was referring to coachgrd instructing his defense. If they "break the glass", expect the foul.

As you said, the defense usually finds a way to initiate contact. I applaud coachgrd for trying to instruct his players how to avoid this.

Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Re: Thank you, Coach.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
from TimTaylor

I have to disagree - it depends who "breaks the glass". The key to making the call is refereeing the defense. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, you realy do agree with me. I was referring to coachgrd instructing his defense. If they "break the glass", expect the foul.

As you said, the defense usually finds a way to initiate contact. I applaud coachgrd for trying to instruct his players how to avoid this.

[/B][/QUOTE]

As do I - I wish more coaches would teach their players the right way to play instead of how to try to cheat the system. (FYI, unless I'm mistaked, coachgrd is a she...) Good job coach!

OK, I get it - I assumed "when the glass breaks" meant regardless of who caused it. We do agree!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Smile last time I checked...

Last time I checked, I appeared to be male. I'll check with the wife tonite to be certain!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Note the difference between blocking and deflecting. Too often we see a defender is in position to deflect or alter a shot by going up sooner or higher than the shooter.

In an agressive move they swat down to kill the shot and not just alter it into a miss.

The aggression, in addition to other commnets herein, is what usually generates the foul.

The defender has as much rights as the shooter to "be there". The defender usually takes it too far.

Referee's are tought to "referee' the defense where 80% of fouls occur.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Referee's are tought to "referee' the defense where 80% of fouls occur.
????

100% of the fouls happen because of contact, we find the defense so that we know who causes the contact.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: last time I checked...

Quote:
Last time I checked, I appeared to be male. I'll check with the wife tonite to be certain!
That's no way to be certain.

First, we split on the issue, argue for a few posts, throw in some insults and an obscene graphic or two, go to our attics to see if we have anything there that would help, and complain about this post being an unwelcome digression.

The second step is to get an interpretation from your local and/or state association and bring that information back to this forum.

Third, others should check with their local/state associations to find that there is a disagreement among them.

At this point somebody will contact Mary at NFHS, and she will provide an official interpretation of your gender. Of course, the people in Washington may choose not to go along with the official interpretation...

Rick
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My error coach - confused you with someone else....mea culpa!