View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Hi everyone.

I had a situation in my last game that I've heard varying opinions on, so I wanted to see what those on the forum thought.

I was officiating a modified girls game last week. The home team was much stronger and more skilled than the visitors. Throughout the first half, my partner (a long time veteran) and myself (a first year official) called a number of fouls on the visiting team. They were hitting arms on the shooters and reaching in on the dribblers.

Late in the first half, the team foul count was something like this: visitors - 9, home - 1. The visiting coach was upset, even stating out loud "Is it inconceivable that the other team doesn't commit any fouls?" My partner had him quiet down.

Here's the thing - the home team was doing a lot of driving to the basket and the girls would get banged on the way up. The visitors, on the other hand, would settle for outside jump shots that the home team did not challenge much.

I've heard some officials say in a situation like that you need to make some changes quick, and find some fouls on the home team to even things up ("game management"). I don't think this is right - even though it is uneven, I believe if that's how the calls are going then that's that. I feel the coach was wrong - it is perfectly conceivable you could have a 9-1 team foul situation. Granted, it may not happen often, but still is plausible.

Is this something that's more of a concern at the higher levels? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. Was a little nervous during the game, as our board's interpreter was there (having a girl on the home team), especially when the foul situation developed. It was encouraging to hear from him at half time and at the end that I did a good job.