The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

I worked five games today, so my brain was a little frazzled by the end, so bear with me. In the last game, A1 threw a pass toward the sideline and while it was heading out of bounds, A's coach calls time out. I said you can't have time out, the ball's not in your team's possession while it's in the air. But once it went out, it was B's ball and now you can have time out.

Did I get that right? I thought a loose ball wasn't in anyone's possession, or is it still in possession of the last team to possess it?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

u are correct. nice job
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 07:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
I worked five games today, so my brain was a little frazzled by the end, so bear with me. In the last game, A1 threw a pass toward the sideline and while it was heading out of bounds, A's coach calls time out. I said you can't have time out, the ball's not in your team's possession while it's in the air. But once it went out, it was B's ball and now you can have time out.

Did I get that right? I thought a loose ball wasn't in anyone's possession, or is it still in possession of the last team to possess it?
Sounds right to me. Five games, huh? Most I've worked in a day is 4 and that's all I want!
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You got the call right, but not the terminology. Team A still had team control in your case (while the ball was in the air during the pass), but they did not have PLAYER control. An official should not grant a time-out unless there is player control or the ball is dead.

Z
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You are correct. To answer your question:

A team is in control of the ball when a player of the team is in control, while a live ball is being passed among teammates, and during an interrupted dribble. Team control ends when the ball is in flight on a try for goal, an opponent secures control or the ball becomes dead. Did the coach want the time out when it went out of bounds?

A player is in control of the ball when they are holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. Grant the TO in this situation.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Did the coach want the time out when it went out of bounds?
Yes, and he acted like it was funny that I granted him the timeout afterwards, but not during, and that his team lost the ball. But his team won, so it wasn't a huge deal.

You're right, I remember now the difference between player control and team control.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

You got the call right, but not the terminology. Team A still had team control in your case (while the ball was in the air during the pass), but they did not have PLAYER control. An official should not grant a time-out unless there is player control or the ball is dead.

Z
TOs can be a pain sometimes. Boys JV game on Friday night. Coach A called a TO and I did a quick check to make sure he still had team and player control since the ball was out of my primary. He yelled it again and got slightly annoyed when i delayed about 3 seconds. He was okay after I explained that he can only have the TO if he has team and player control (I try and make sure because I missed this earlier in the year). Same game, same coach. Ball goes OOB with under 10 secs and his team down by two. Defender raises the TO sign and I do a quick check to see if my partner still has the ball. He does but when the whistle blows he has just handed the ball to the thrower. I am positive that my partner still had the ball when the TO was signaled but the coach was upset about it. I thought later that maybe I should have passed on the TO. Two close TOs in the game. Sometimes they are hard to call.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

After a made basket

I'm going to use this thread to take a spin on the TO issue.
After a made basket by team A, team B secures the ball and steps OOB for the throw-in. At what point do most of you consider as the time that team A can no longer call a TO.
A. Immediately after team B secures the ball?
B. After the throw-in person has turned to face the floor to actually throw the ball in? Or
C. After the throw-in is completed and a team B player has secured the ball?
I recognize the issue with team control vs. player control and agree with the other answers. But on a throw-in, there is neither team or player control, so it seems to me that either team can call a TO up until a player IB secures the ball. Feedback?

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
I worked five games">games today, so my brain was a little frazzled by the end, so bear with me. In the last game, A1 threw a pass toward the sideline and while it was heading out of bounds, A's coach calls time out. I said you can't have time out, the ball's not in your team's possession while it's in the air. But once it went out, it was B's ball and now you can have time out.

Z
TOs can be a pain sometimes. Boys JV game on Friday night. Coach A called a TO and I did a quick check to make sure he still had team and player control since the ball was out of my primary. He yelled it again and got slightly annoyed when i delayed about 3 seconds. He was okay after I explained that he can only have the TO if he has team and player control (I try and make sure because I missed this earlier in the year). Same game, same coach. Ball goes OOB with under 10 secs and his team down by two. Defender raises the TO sign and I do a quick check to see if my partner still has the ball. He does but when the whistle blows he has just handed the ball to the thrower. I am positive that my partner still had the ball when the TO was signaled but the coach was upset about it. I thought later that maybe I should have passed on the TO. Two close TOs in the game. Sometimes they are hard to call.
Don't pass on that TO. The timeout was requested, the official still had the ball, TO. Reverse the scenario. You hear TO request from the benchs behind you. White has the ball, you look to see who requested the TO, and it was white. TO. You know a legitimate, legal timeout request was made. The fact that an official takes enough time to allow the ball to become loose (not a criticism, it just happens) does not change the legitimate legal timeout request.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
After a made basket by team A, team B secures the ball and steps OOB for the throw-in. At what point do most of you consider as the time that team A can no longer call a TO.
B. After the throw-in person has turned to face the floor to actually throw the ball in? Or
I recognize the issue with team control vs. player control and agree with the other answers. But on a throw-in, there is neither team or player control, so it seems to me that either team can call a TO up until a player IB secures the ball. Feedback?
SECTION 8 - TIME OUT, STOPPING PLAY

Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped whan an official:

Art. 3...Grants a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when

a) The ball is in control or at the disposal of a player of his/her team.

If I started counting, no TO!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: After a made basket

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
B. The timeout can be granted until the ball is at the disposal of the the throwing team. It is at the disposal when they are in (or could be in ) a position to make the throwin AND you have started the throwin count. If you're not counting, you've already decided they don't have it at their disposal.