Thread: Time out or no?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
I worked five games today, so my brain was a little frazzled by the end, so bear with me. In the last game, A1 threw a pass toward the sideline and while it was heading out of bounds, A's coach calls time out. I said you can't have time out, the ball's not in your team's possession while it's in the air. But once it went out, it was B's ball and now you can have time out.

Did I get that right? I thought a loose ball wasn't in anyone's possession, or is it still in possession of the last team to possess it?
You are correct. To answer your question:

A team is in control of the ball when a player of the team is in control, while a live ball is being passed among teammates, and during an interrupted dribble. Team control ends when the ball is in flight on a try for goal, an opponent secures control or the ball becomes dead. Did the coach want the time out when it went out of bounds?

A player is in control of the ball when they are holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. Grant the TO in this situation.