Thread: Time out or no?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
I worked five games today, so my brain was a little frazzled by the end, so bear with me. In the last game, A1 threw a pass toward the sideline and while it was heading out of bounds, A's coach calls time out. I said you can't have time out, the ball's not in your team's possession while it's in the air. But once it went out, it was B's ball and now you can have time out.

Did I get that right? I thought a loose ball wasn't in anyone's possession, or is it still in possession of the last team to possess it?
You got the call right, but not the terminology. Team A still had team control in your case (while the ball was in the air during the pass), but they did not have PLAYER control. An official should not grant a time-out unless there is player control or the ball is dead.

Z
TOs can be a pain sometimes. Boys JV game on Friday night. Coach A called a TO and I did a quick check to make sure he still had team and player control since the ball was out of my primary. He yelled it again and got slightly annoyed when i delayed about 3 seconds. He was okay after I explained that he can only have the TO if he has team and player control (I try and make sure because I missed this earlier in the year). Same game, same coach. Ball goes OOB with under 10 secs and his team down by two. Defender raises the TO sign and I do a quick check to see if my partner still has the ball. He does but when the whistle blows he has just handed the ball to the thrower. I am positive that my partner still had the ball when the TO was signaled but the coach was upset about it. I thought later that maybe I should have passed on the TO. Two close TOs in the game. Sometimes they are hard to call.