The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Bench Personnel? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18037-bench-personnel.html)

mj Sun Jan 30, 2005 01:32pm

Also last week we had a player hit the floor hard but I did not feel it was necessary for the head coach to come out. I even put the stop sign up to him so he knew this. Next thing I know, the trainer, who is there for both teams, comes out to check on the player. Since we did not beckon anyone to come out, we allowed the player to stay in the game without having to use a timeout.

Anyone here gonna make the player leave?

brandan89 Sun Jan 30, 2005 01:37pm

Since the coach came out, especially when you put the stop sign up, I would charge a timeout.

zebraman Sun Jan 30, 2005 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brandan89
Since the coach came out, especially when you put the stop sign up, I would charge a timeout.
Read it again Brandan... the coach never came out.

Referee judgement required here. If the player was ready to go pretty quickly, I don't think I'd make him/her leave the game. If the "uninvited" trainer attended to the player for more than just a brief moment, I think I'd beckon the coach and make the player leave or else have the coach use a time-out to keep the player in.

Z

mj Sun Jan 30, 2005 01:55pm

Sorry, the coach did not come out, only the trainer.

brandan89 Sun Jan 30, 2005 01:56pm

Sorry. Misread it.

JRutledge Sun Jan 30, 2005 02:50pm

I usually beckon the coach onto the floor and let the coach decide if he wants to help the player. I am not in a position to determine in most cases if a player is hurt bad enough to come out of a game if that player is still lying on the court. Now if they get right up I might take my time before beckoning a coach on the floor, but I am not going to T up a coach or trainer if they choose to come out onto the floor and it is obvious their player is hurt.

In this case I would apply the rules as if they were beckoned. They would have to come out of the game and could only keep them in by calling a timeout. I had the same player get hurt during our game twice and each time we beckoned the coach to come onto the court. One of the times the coach refused to come out and wanted to see if the player could get up on his own. The second time it was obvious the player was really hurt and it took us several minutes to get this player taken care of as it look like he fell on his side after being fouled.

Peace

rainmaker Sun Jan 30, 2005 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mj
Also last week we had a player hit the floor hard but I did not feel it was necessary for the head coach to come out. I even put the stop sign up to him so he knew this. Next thing I know, the trainer, who is there for both teams, comes out to check on the player. Since we did not beckon anyone to come out, we allowed the player to stay in the game without having to use a timeout.

I don't know about your situation, but I'd never stop the coach from coming out, unless the player was really trying to get up and saying she didn't want out. If coach wants to take the player out, that's his business.

mick Sun Jan 30, 2005 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by mj

I don't know about your situation, but I'd never stop the coach from coming out, unless the player was really trying to get up and saying she didn't want out. If coach wants to take the player out, that's his business.

I'll let a coach come out anytime in the case of an injured player on the floor <U>and</U> I'll say, "I beckoned him."

By advising a coach to not make a poor decision, I may be putting the other team in an otherwise disadvantageus postion.
And too, if the player is in fact a "walking wounded" who talks, walks and then passes out, I have just put myself in the position of head village ignit.
mick