The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

SECTION 9 BACKCOURT
A player shall notÂ…
ART. 1 . . . Be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
ART. 2 . . . While in team control in its backcourt, cause the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball touching a player in the frontcourt, and be the first to touch it in the backcourt.

Furthermore:
ART. 3 . . . A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.
PENALTY: (Section 9) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 12:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
This is an interesting interpretation I have not heard before. I am not sure I agree with that. How can you have a back court violation by touching a ball with front court status? Is there some case play of which I am unaware? Please cite your justification for this interp. Thanks.
1- Team control by Team A.
2- Ball has attained FC status.
3- Team A was the last to touch the ball before it went into the BC.
4- Team A was the first to touch the ball after it went into the BC.

Violation.
Thanks for helping me on some future obscure NFHS exam question, but I wouldn't make this call in a million years. Not that I'll ever have to.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Thanks for helping me on some future obscure NFHS exam question, but I wouldn't make this call in a million years. Not that I'll ever have to.
Actually, I had a call very much like this. Team A has the ball in their front court. B1 knocks the ball away from A1 towards the division line. A1 dives after the ball. The ball takes a bounce in the front court, A1 (who is lying on the floor entirely in the front court) gets her hand on the ball and bounces it once---in her back court.

A1 first touches the ball---OK.
Ball bounces---OK.
A1 touches the ball again---Tweet!
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Actually, I had a call very much like this. Team A has the ball in their front court. B1 knocks the ball away from A1 towards the division line. A1 dives after the ball. The ball takes a bounce in the front court, A1 (who is lying on the floor entirely in the front court) gets her hand on the ball and bounces it once---in her back court.

Ball bounces---OK.
No problem with this one. What about the one cited earlier where A1 touches it, it bounces in bc, then bounces in fc, then A1 touches it again, or A2 touches it. Someone said that would still be a bc violation. Eh?
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:

Ball bounces---OK.
No problem with this one. What about the one cited earlier where A1 touches it, it bounces in bc, then bounces in fc, then A1 touches it again, or A2 touches it. Someone said that would still be a bc violation. Eh?
Absolutely! A in control. Ball in front court. A1 was the last to touch before it went to the backcourt. A2 was was the first to touch after it went to the backcourt. The ball says nothing about where the touches are made or what happens between the touches.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Doesn't the ball regain front court status once it touches the floor in the front court?
Yes, the ball again gains FC status. However, that is irrelevant. All the rule mentions is who touches it relative to when it it transistions to the backcourt. It makes no distintion about where it is touched or the status of the ball other than that the ball had to have FC status at some point prior to it going to the backcourt.