The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I need some advice. I have two things which I have been trying to work on but need some guidance on how I can get better at them.

A) Travelling, I don't know what it is but I just don't feel comfortable with it. I am just looking for the best way to improve my calls on that.

B) The one I need more improvement on out of the two: working my game when I am with a weak partner. For somereason I don't have a strong game when I work with a weaker partner, when I work with a strong partner I have a strong game. When I work with a weak partner I come out of the game not liking how I performed and with a storng one I like my personal performance. I'm not sure what this is about but I don't like it.

I know these are probably going to be hard to give advice on but I hope you guys can help me out.

mucho gracias.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

A) You can't effectively call traveling unless you know which foot is the PIVOT. Chances are you're trying to watch both feet but that's not necessary. Recognize when the pivot foot is established and know if it's lifted before the dribble is released and when it's lifted and put back down when the player is holding the ball. Forget about the other foot.

B) Establish your game and work toward a consistency. Don't think of a partner as being weak or strong. Just go out with the attitude that you're going to call the same game, no matter who you're with. Consistency.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Snake Eyes,
As for a travel, everyone has some different cues and things they look for. For me, a few are as follows:
1. Shuffling
2. Happy feet
3. Too many steps
4. Forgetting to put the ball on the floor.
5. Backing up when very closely guarded.
6. Little hops
7. Dragging a foot(usually accompanied by a little hop)
8. Too many steps when in traffic - especially when driving to the lane.
9. Too many steps when bringing down a long pass.

These are only a few of the times you are apt to see a travel. I also watch for any unusual break in the rythmn and flow. It doesn't always signal a travel by any means, but it can certainly be a red flag for one.

Also, be sure to keep in mind that in my experience I have found that most of the people in the stands yelling travel are wrong -- just like they are with 3 seconds. I heard both of those from the stands ad nauseum last night.

As for your performance, I know I often feel the same way you do. I felt that way all day today. I've had 3 AD's tell me they have hooked me up with new refs or weaker partners because I could handle it. My ego was stroked by their vote of confidence, but I was very tired at the end of those games. One AD told me to take care of my partner last week. I groaned. However, weaker and new do not always go hand in hand. I've worked with two young guys this year - both in their second year who are doing outstanding officiating, and in one game one might have made better calls than me. A weak partner with questionable calls, mistakes, weak mechanics always makes me feel like as a team we did not do as well. The main thing is to not let it undermine your confidence. Coaches fans, and players will all pick up on that and it starts a feeding frenzy. Remember the two of you are a team, so work hard to be as competent and professional as you possibly can be. I try to evaluate their weaknesses and see if they refelct any of my own that I need to work on.
I also am very grateful to work with better and more gifted officials. I try to glean everything I can from them by watching them on the court and talking with them in the locker room. Keep your head up. Nobody has a great night every time out. To quote a song by Mark Chestnut, "I'm ordinary on most days; extraordinary on some days...but my mom thinks I'm a saint!

Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'll let others deal with traveling.

As far as the strong/weak partner, I think EVERYONE struggles with this. I know I did. Here's some things I would suggest:

1. Not caring what level, have a good pre-game. Take control, or insist that they take control. Sometimes it isn't so much a weak partner as it is a lazy one.

2. Work very hard to help him out, even if he doesn't do the same for you. An example is on fouls, while still watching the player, let him know that you've got the shooter.

3. Talk, talk, and talk some more. Timeouts, halftime, etc. The tendancy is to think, "boy, if we can just get this game over with..." and ignore him, but then you get into the trap of him pulling you down.

Ultimately, you have to be the best official you can be. Study the rules, get your mechanics in tip top shape, watch as many games with other officials as you can, and work as many games as you can. If at all possible, have someone video your games. I found that the better YOU are, sometimes that helps other weaker officials rise up.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Two other things.
1. If you need to take care of the weaker partner do so, but use caution not to undermine them in the eyes of others. A coach physically bumped and cussed at a female partner after a game last year. Not a wise move for him. I've also given techicals to get an arrogant coach off of my partner's back more than once.
2. Balance each other's strengths. I have one partner I work with some with 30+ years experience. He knows the rule book inside out and if I had a strange or questionable situation, there's no one I'd rather be on the court with. But he is a little "stiff" in the way he relates to people. I have better people skills -- unless I have a jerk on the bench -- so I try to do more of that kind of stuff. Balance each other.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 01:04am
M.A.S.H.

On your second one, just don't think about your partner. Know that's he/she is out there and are going to perform their duties. The reason you probably don't feel good out there is probably because you are over officiating whenever you have a not so strong partner. Just talk things over during half and stuff on what you missed, if there's anything you'd like to change, etc. You'll be fine! Good luck
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Officiate from the floor up. When the ball comes to a player in your primary start with the feet and recognize the pivot foot.

It takes time, but it is possible to locate the ball, find the pivot foot and referee the defense all at the same time.

The only thing you can control is you; you are the common denominator. What makes you strong with a strong partner? Take whatever you think that is with you to EVERY game.

Work your primary, keep your focus, and above all be a GREAT partner. Keep on top of game situations, and focus on YOUR game, not your weaker partner.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The way to learn to work with a weak partner is to go watch how others work with a weak partner. Remember back when you were the weak partner? Okay, who was a strong partner that did a great job with you? Go to that person and explain that you want to watch him or her working with a weak partner. Ask for some games you can watch from the stands. Talk to that strong partner later about specific things you saw and need to understand. Go home and think of two things you can work on the next time you have a weak partner. Write them into your journal. Next game that you have with a weak partner, be thankful, instead of dreading it. Now you have a chance to learn some more! If your strong partner person is available, go to them after each game with a weak partner and talk about things that came up and how you handled them and what you could do better next time. Give yourself time to work on this. You'll get better at it over time, if you keep working.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I need some advice. I have two things which I have been trying to work on but need some guidance on how I can get better at them.

A) Travel">Travelling, I don't know what it is but I just don't feel comfortable with it. I am just looking for the best way to improve my calls on that.

Call the obvious! A no call is better than a bad call IMO!

B) The one I need more improvement on out of the two: working my game when I am with a weak partner. For somereason I don't have a strong game when I work with a weaker partner, when I work with a strong partner I have a strong game. When I work with a weak partner I come out of the game not liking how I performed and with a storng one I like my personal performance. I'm not sure what this is about but I don't like it.

Be consistant. Even though your p may call something you may not have, you are a team. Get together at a break and get together on what you both saw and what you will call. You are his other set of eyes out there, help each other help each other. What I have found in the few years I have been officiating is to stay in your own area and have confidence that your p made the right call.

You could call the best game of life, but your p did not, the only thing the losing coach is gonna remember is that the officiating crew was bad.

mucho gracias.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

If you are uncomfortable with a weak partner, it may be that you are reluctant to take charge of the crew. You have to get past this. One thing that might help is to come into each game thinking that you are always the best official on the floor (no matter who your partners are) and that you need to lead the crew at all times. It's sometimes easier to adjust from this attitude to a more egalitarian attitude when you are in fact partnered with stronger partners than to try to raise your game when you learn that you have weaker partners.

As far as travelling, just wait for one of these jump stop bunny hop moves and call a walk whether you see one or not. If we all call this a walk all the time, we can get rid of this move once and for all so that we don't have to waste brain cells figuring it out.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
If you are uncomfortable with a weak partner, it may be that you are reluctant to take charge of the crew. You have to get past this. One thing that might help is to come into each game thinking that you are always the best official on the floor (no matter who your partners are) and that you need to lead the crew at all times. It's sometimes easier to adjust from this attitude to a more egalitarian attitude when you are in fact partnered with stronger partners than to try to raise your game when you learn that you have weaker partners.

As far as travelling, just wait for one of these jump stop bunny hop moves and call a walk whether you see one or not. If we all call this a walk all the time, we can get rid of this move once and for all so that we don't have to waste brain cells figuring it out.
I think Jim said it --- it is all about leadership. Top officials have outstanding leadership qualities. With weaker partners, they know how to motivate their partners, build their confidence, give them good advice on where they need to improve on their game. LEADERSHIP

Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys, I will try this in my games this week.