The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

This came up in an intermural game tonight...hopefully someone can clue me in. The score's tied at the end of regulation, A1 drives to the basket but fails to get a shot off before the horn. B1 fouls A1, but foul is obviously after the horn and not flagrant or excessive. A1 is upset and curses, drawing a technical foul (again, technical occurs AFTER time has expired). Refs award 2 FTs (one is successful), but insist that since technical occured after the clock expired, the game still goes to OT with Team B leading by 1 point at tip-off. This seems wrong to me, but I wasn't sure and didn't argue. The call didn't effect the final outcome, but I'm still interested in the rule.

Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

The rule is once overtime has started, you have to play it through. In this situaiton B won no overtime needed.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
You shoot the "T" shots if it would affect the outcome of the game.

Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks to me as if the game ended tied and then the technical foul was issued after the fourth quarter had ended.

If that is what happened, then the referees were correct.

Case book 5.6 Comment B:

If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This applies even when the foul occurs after the first half has ended. It also applies when the foul occurs after the second half has ended, provided the score is tied.

Z
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, that was the situation. The T was called after the clock had expired and the score was tied. So, I think the refs handled it correctly EXCEPT that there shouldn't have been a jump ball to start overtime...after the two freethrows, we're awarded the ball out of bounds to start the extra period. Is this right?
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 11:36pm
M.A.S.H.

Sounds to me they did this right and yes they get the ball OOB to start OT.

[Edited by tjones1 on Jan 23rd, 2005 at 11:39 PM]
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1

Maybe not. When I was in college we played our intramural games under NCAA rules not NFHS rules. The officials were correct to have a jump ball to start the OT, if that is the case.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1

Maybe not. When I was in college we played our intramural games under NCAA rules not NFHS rules. The officials were correct to have a jump ball to start the OT, if that is the case.
Interesting - we do NFHS rules, but everyone assumes we do NCAA rules.

Usually results in at least one or two arguments over FT lineups or lane restrictions (rim/release) during the first week of games. Usually goes something like this:

"Sorry - you can't stand in that spot."
"Yeah I can, they do it all the time on TV."
"That's college rules, we play high school rules."
"But we're in college, aren't we?"
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mngoose33
Yes, that was the situation. The T was called after the clock had expired and the score was tied. So, I think the refs handled it correctly EXCEPT that there shouldn't have been a jump ball to start overtime...after the two freethrows, we're awarded the ball out of bounds to start the extra period. Is this right?
Score was tied. Official called the T and 1 shot was successful and the other 1 missed. There is no reason to have O/T b/c the score is not tied.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by mngoose33
Score was tied. Official called the T and 1 shot was successful and the other 1 missed. There is no reason to have O/T b/c the score is not tied.
Read zebraman's post, which actually has real rule references to support his, correct, interpretation.