The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

I worked 3rd and 4th grade youth games today, pretty funny after my Friday night thread, but anyway...

We call a foul, an OBVIOUS foul, in a string of obvious fouls, and the table informs us it's now a 1 and 1. The fouler's coach hears this and asked for the foul count, after the table tells him he says, "Hey refs it's 7-0." The assistant coach says, "7-0, come on refs."

I say," And that means what?" Very loudly, with a bit of a glare in their direction. Nothing else from either coach, but a Dad says, "It means you are not being fair." It was all I could do to not laugh at the moron.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

BJV friday night-two very good teams-well played fast paced game--in first half the foul count was 7 home 0 visitors--first time that has every happened in a game I officiated. Though it seemed wierd there was not one comment from the coaches or fans. It was clear that the visiting team did not foul.

Second half was different with both teams fouling. No idea what count was in second half as it is not something i focus on at all.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PA Official
What are you trying to accomplish by asking a coach, "And that means what?" with a glare attatched? Sure, it may be a way of quieting him down, but it sure isn't preventive officiating. You are leading him to a comment that will ultimately automatically result in a technical foul.

A comment about the foul count is not stepping over the line. Its a comment we've all heard before, almost come to expect, and as previously stated in this thread, have a rational explanation for. To come back at a coach who is obviously disgusted and/or frustrated with his team and/or the game with a comment that could and probably will lead to a statement more slanderous is not what we should be doing. The situation should first try to be difused, not escalated, which is what you are doing.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 10:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

How many games do you have where the first half ends up 9-2 for fouls, and the second half is 3-8?

I get a couple every tournament.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 01:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by PA Official

A comment about the foul count is not stepping over the line.
Fwiw, a comment about the foul count is stepping over my own personal line. I don't tolerate or put up with comments like that. I put an end to them immediately, one way or another.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What are you trying to accomplish by asking a coach, "And that means what?" with a glare attatched? Sure, it may be a way of quieting him down, but it sure isn't preventive officiating. You are leading him to a comment that will ultimately automatically result in a technical foul.

A comment about the foul count is not stepping over the line. Its a comment we've all heard before, almost come to expect, and as previously stated in this thread, have a rational explanation for. To come back at a coach who is obviously disgusted and/or frustrated with his team and/or the game with a comment that could and probably will lead to a statement more slanderous is not what we should be doing. The situation should first try to be difused, not escalated, which is what you are doing.
It's a 3rd grade youth coach, that means it's a kid's Dad.

That is a direct attack on our integrity, so he has ALREADY gone past, WAY past, a regular warning. Another comment even close to that level is getting him tossed and not just T'd.

The situation WAS difused, he stopped worrying about the foul count and started doing what he was out there to do, COACH. His kids played better from that point, and actually came back and won.

"That means what," with that look, made both coaches realize EXACTLY where they went, MUCH better than a generic, "That's enough coach."

I guess whacking the head coach and the assistant coach, him losing the box, and the other team shooting 5 or 6 free throws and getting the ball back would have been MUCH better for the game.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
What do you say to coaches who constantly remind you of a lopsided foul count. In two games the past week home team plays a deliberate slow down game. They pass the ball around the perimeter a lot. One one possession they took 1:30 off the clock. The more aggressive teams get frustrated and are often late getting to the ball and "hack" the passer, hold the man driving back door or the cutter going to the hoop, trip the cutter, etc. Home team plays a laid back defense so they don't foul much. Visiting coaches keep throwing the foul count at us. I just ignore it, until it gets personal then "Whack!" How do you respond to those comments?
Tell him "Coach tell your team to stop fouling".
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

foul count

im sorry but if i were coaching and you responded to me that way i would have taken it to be very unproffessional of you. you may go home and talk to your kids that way and glare at them that way but it certainly would not have intimidated me as it may your kids. you had better stay at 3rd and 4th levels because a good varsity coach will have you for lunch
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: foul count

Quote:
Originally posted by bellyache
im sorry but if i were coaching and you responded to me that way i would have taken it to be very unproffessional of you. you may go home and talk to your kids that way and glare at them that way but it certainly would not have intimidated me as it may your kids. you had better stay at 3rd and 4th levels because a good varsity coach will have you for lunch
I seem to be doing just fine in all my varsity games this season, including a rivalry game featuring the #1 boys team in the state, the night before this 3rd/4th grade youth game.

Telling a coach to sit down and stut up is unprofessional, letting them know you are not going to allow them to question you and your partner's integrity WITHOUT having to T either coach, and without further problems in the game, is called GAME MANAGMENT.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 07:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I have to disagree. When a coach or player is making a comment about the foul count, then they are questioning your integrity or ability. Usually officials either do not address it or they can T them up. It is not our job to explain why the foul count is the way it is. Coaches never seem ask you about when the foul count is in their favor. This should not be tolerated or accepted. I have no problem with officials challenging a coach for their comments. If a coach said anything that was questioning their integrity, I would not have a problem with an official making a comment. We have to stop feeling like we cannot talk to coaches when they step out of line.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 08:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
you had better stay at 3rd and 4th levels because a good varsity coach will have you for lunch
Wow! Are you that sure about that?
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: foul count

Quote:
you had better stay at 3rd and 4th levels because a good varsity coach will have you for lunch
You're just full of $hit, aren't you?

BZ gives as good as he gets. I can't imagine any coach having him for lunch. I know who'll get the last word.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: foul count

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
You're just full of $hit, aren't you?

BZ gives as good as he gets. I can't imagine any coach having him for lunch. I know who'll get the last word.
Isn't it always the one in stripes with the whistle?

Wait, that sounds like I'm on a power trip, and that would be REALLY unprofessional.