The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I wanted to start a new thread on a specific play about a topic we have been discussing. A1 is holding the ball tightly with 1 hand. He is able to do this by using his forearm, bicep, and chest to aid his hand to firmly hold the ball. A1 is standing on the floor.
B1 gets 1 hand on the ball so firmly that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness. Is this a held ball or do both players have to have 2 hands on the ball? I think held ball.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by zanzibar
I wanted to start a new thread on a specific play about a topic we have been discussing. A1 is holding the ball tightly with 1 hand. He is able to do this by using his forearm, bicep, and chest to aid his hand to firmly hold the ball. A1 is standing on the floor.
B1 gets 1 hand on the ball so firmly that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness. Is this a held ball or do both players have to have 2 hands on the ball? I think held ball.
Nothing says two hands are necessary for a held ball. Happens all the time on a shot. Shooter has ball in one hand, defender stops it with one hand. It stops ball from being released. Held ball.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Definitely a held ball. But this is not the same as the other thread's discussions. In your case, the player with the ball is clutching the ball with his arm tightly. The defender would have to use hand plus forearm at the very least to be able to clutch the ball in such a fashion that the offensive player couldn't pull the ball away. The other threads only referred to a hand touching the ball, not clutching the ball with hand and arm. See the difference?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Definitely a held ball. But this is not the same as the other thread's discussions. In your case, the player with the ball is clutching the ball with his arm tightly. The defender would have to use hand plus forearm at the very least to be able to clutch the ball in such a fashion that the offensive player couldn't pull the ball away. The other threads only referred to a hand touching the ball, not clutching the ball with hand and arm. See the difference?
Yup, and if a player on the floor has the ball held firmly betwwen both legs, and an opponent then puts a hand on the ball, is that a held ball too?

Btw, that one was in the case book many,many years ago.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, and if a player on the floor has the ball held firmly betwwen both legs, and an opponent then puts a hand on the ball, is that a held ball too?

Hey, DeNucci, get up to the attic.
I want a specific reference and quote!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:

That's a good one. I'm gonna say no, if it's just a hand on the ball. Would look pretty funny though. Now if a kid has the ball tight between his legs (I'm picturing a scrum on the floor here) and another kid grabs the ball with both hands or clutches it with his arm and can't pull it out from the kid's legs - then I have a held ball.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Nothing says two hands are necessary for a held ball. Happens all the time on a shot. Shooter has ball in one hand, defender stops it with one hand. It stops ball from being released. Held ball.
Snaqwells I'm not talking about a shot( normally that is an airbone shoter or passer). That is covered under 4-25-2. I'm trying to get a clarification on 4-25-1. This player is standing on the floor therefore a different rule applies.
Thanks,
Zanzibar
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

One hand does not equal two...or in this case a hand, wrist, and bicep.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

What if the defender's one hand is pinning the ball to the body of the offensive player (along with the offensive player's arm pinning the ball to the body)? How is that different than one hand blocking a try that results in a held ball? In both cases the ball was pinned and not moving.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
What if the defender's one hand is pinning the ball to the body of the offensive player (along with the offensive player's arm pinning the ball to the body)? How is that different than one hand blocking a try that results in a held ball? In both cases the ball was pinned and not moving.
The difference is that the offensive player could simply pivot and pull the ball away from the defender. The defender doesn't have any grip on the ball such that it can't be pulled away.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"kicking" violation.

Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
One hand does not equal two...or in this case a hand, wrist, and bicep.
So if you catch the basketball in the endzone, does one butt-cheeek equal two feet?
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 25 HELD BALL
A held ball occurs when:
ART. 1 . . . Opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness.
ART. 2 . . . An opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
SECTION 25 HELD BALL
A held ball occurs when:
ART. 1 . . . Opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness.
ART. 2 . . . An opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.
Why is it that the (s) is not shown in the Case Book?
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

"kicking" violation.

Kicking? How ya figger?
NCAA 4-43 AR 30, part of which reads, "The intent of this rule is to prevent a player from gaining an advantage byu using any part of the leg."