The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

GV game, A1 is a 6'4" freshman, has a breakaway layup and she booms it. Nothing fancy but definately a dunk. I've never seen a HS girl dunk and I've never seen a gym go that wild.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:39pm
M.A.S.H.

Never seen it either. I have heard about it though and I have also heard about dunking in Jr. High games.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Never seen it either. I have heard about it though and I have also heard about dunking in Jr. High games.
Candace Parker Naperville Central High School in Illinois Now with the Lady Vols is said to be the first high school player to Dunk in a game. Actually won a slam dunk contest put on by Nike or Rebok or McDonalds not sure who against the boys.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

L.S.U.

LSU also has a girl from Miami, Sylvia Fowles that can dunk. She is 6'5" and she dunked in HS also. She is a freshman and is yet to dunk in a college game yet, but we are still waiting.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Candace Parker Naperville Central High School in Illinois Now with the Lady Vols is said to be the first high school player to Dunk in a game. Actually won a slam dunk contest put on by Nike or Rebok or McDonalds not sure who against the boys.
She won because she was a girl dunking, not because her dunks were better than the guys'. Of course, she also won because the boys actually missed some harder dunks rather than making some easier ones.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Who was the first woman to dunk in a game? Wasn't it Lisa Lesley when she was playing in college?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Who was the first woman to dunk in a game? Wasn't it Lisa Lesley when she was playing in college?
No. Charlotte Smith from Carolina dunked long before Leslie. But I'm not sure if Smith was the first.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
She won because she was a girl dunking, not because her dunks were better than the guys'. Of course, she also won because the boys actually missed some harder dunks rather than making some easier ones.
Personally...I don't care if she won because she had purple shoes. She won a slam dunk competition against males. If the guys were too stupid to adjusting their strategy and do what it took to win the competition by attempting dunks they could actually make then they have another reason to be ashamed of their performance.

<<< typed by a white guy that has never been able to dunk on a basket higher than 7 feet...poster child for "White Men Can't Jump" >>>
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 06:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Larks, I agree and disagree. I watched the competition on replay (due to the hoopla around it) and thought she got far more points for her simple dunks than any of the guys would have gotten for the same dunks.
That said, you're right that the guys were too caught up in everything to put down a dunk; and they tried some pretty off-the-wall dunks.