The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

This may be a little long, but I think it's worth sharing.

My father called me today to share a situation he had last night during a GHS Game. He has been calling at the HS and College level for 32 years and said it was a first he ever heard of this happening.

FHS vs MHS

To set it all up, two GHS are 1 and 2 in their division. Well last week, FHS @ MHS. Rumor has it that FHS got homered, they lost by 2 or 3. Before the game the coach of FHS goes and talks to by Pop and his P before the other team shows up for the game (they were late due to weather conditions) and informs them he heard through the grapevine that the coach for MHS is expected to get homered because of the game last week. My Pop explains that they are not going to discuss that, but both coaches can expect to get the game called fairly.

So, MHS shows up late, so only the Varsity will play. During the first half, a foul is called on MHS. The coach stands up and says "How can you call that, how do you guys sleep at night?" My Pop says something to the extent, "We'll sleep just fine coach", Bang, T! No further incidents until the 4th Qtr. FHS is winning by 29 with 4 minutes left. MHS goes down and scores, coach from MHS calls time out.

My Pop is admimistering the throwin on the baseline near this coaches bench. There is the thrower in, a teammate, and an opponent. The ball is inbounded, except the defender doesn't guard the ball, she starts guarding my Dad. I know, LOL. Anyway, my Pop tells her he doesn't think he looks like a girl, she needs to go guard someone else! He didn't know what to think at the time. Girls from the team bench were laughing as well as fans from this team.

So, with 30 seconds left, MHS is losing by 25. The coach from MHS calls a timeout. After the timeout, the ball is put in play by FHS, and the coach from MHS yells out, "guard him again"! This girl starts guarding my Pop again!

We have our thoughts on this and would like yours.

I can tell you what happened afterward if interrested.

I should probably add, team foul count total was 20-22.

[Edited by thumpferee on Jan 18th, 2005 at 02:30 PM]
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:17pm
M.A.S.H.

Very interested... please continue!
I believe the coach would get to go to the showers 30 seconds earlier. Whack him!

[Edited by tjones1 on Jan 18th, 2005 at 02:30 PM]
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

If it wasn't so dang funny, it should likely be the coach's second T.

I like it. Start playing a little air ball and see if she will try to block your shot. Say you made the shot and check the ball to her at the top of the key. Now you guard her.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think I'd go ahead and issue the 2nd T here, even with 30 seconds left. Can't let this go unpunished, even as funny as it is.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I told my dad afterward, who is a better than average basketball player, even at 57, "what was this coach thinking? you are by far the best player out there, he should have double teamed you" LMAO

I also asked, "what if there was contact, would you have had a block or a charge call?"LOL He said, "Definitely a BLOCK!"LMAO
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
I always thought the story was an urban legend among coaches. You know:

"Time-out! OK, you know who's hurting us the most. Now go out there and defend the one person on the floor who's hurting us the most!!! Go!!!"

And the player proceeds to guard the official...
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:46pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
T

Wht did your dad do?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Coach went to the showers!

I'm surprised nobody said T the girl too, which he didn't.
He said she actually contacted him with her hand the first time. I told him he shoulda called a foul on her for hand checking.lol

To finish on the story, the AD from this school called my dad this morning after the report was filed to get his story first hand. Reason being, the girl the coach had guard him was his sister. Yeh the AD's sister! She had to go home and tell her brother what this coach told her to do. The AD said that the school was considering suspending him for 3 games, and possibly the rest of the season. The Principal was supposed to call him later today. I'm gonna call him now and see what the outcome is.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 03:00pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Good, I love it when I hear about an AD standing up for sportsmanship.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 03:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd have considered a T on the girl the second time, but it was clear to everyone who instigated it. Don't ring up the kid because her coach is a clown. Good job by your Dad.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:30pm
In Memoriam

And they wonder why we end up with incidents like fans coming out of the stands and assaulting officials. All something like this does is incite behaviour like that. Mighta sounded funny, but it coulda had very serious repercussions with some of the wacko fans around.

Great job by your dad. Coach should be fired. Btw, any contact on me in a situation like that, even incidental, and I'm thinking flagrant on the player. Let the coach's AD think about that one. Might put a stop to crap like that a little quicker. Too bad for the player, but it just might point out to that's school's administation how ridiculous it was that a coach tried something like that.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 18th, 2005 at 05:35 PM]
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Coach went to the showers!

I'm surprised nobody said T the girl too, which he didn't.
He said she actually contacted him with her hand the first time. I told him he shoulda called a foul on her for hand checking.lol

To finish on the story, the AD from this school called my dad this morning after the report was filed to get his story first hand. Reason being, the girl the coach had guard him was his sister. Yeh the AD's sister! She had to go home and tell her brother what this coach told her to do. The AD said that the school was considering suspending him for 3 games, and possibly the rest of the season. The Principal was supposed to call him later today. I'm gonna call him now and see what the outcome is.
Glad to hear an AD has some gumption.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee

So, with 30 seconds left, MHS is losing by 25. The coach from MHS calls a timeout. After the timeout, the ball is put in play by FHS, and the coach from MHS yells out, "guard him again"! This girl starts guarding my Pop again!

We have our thoughts on this and would like yours.

I can tell you what happened afterward if interrested.

I should probably add, team foul count total was 20-22.

[Edited by thumpferee on Jan 18th, 2005 at 02:30 PM]
Flagrant T for the coach; flagrant T for the player - and they're both leaving the gym before we continue the game.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

That coach is living proof that idiots are everywhere? Another main concern to me is whether or not this coach is a teacher in the school district. What kind of role model would this be?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Flagrant T for the coach; flagrant T for the player - and they're both leaving the gym before we continue the game.
I don't know about the player, Mark -- if she'd have thought this up on her own, maybe. And I generally don't let people off the hook for "just following orders", but in this case, I think I would let her off with a stern warning. She probably ought to know better, but if this is the kind of adults she has in her life, where's she going to learn?