Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 06:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Flagrant T for the coach; flagrant T for the player - and they're both leaving the gym before we continue the game.
I don't know about the player, Mark -- if she'd have thought this up on her own, maybe. And I generally don't let people off the hook for "just following orders", but in this case, I think I would let her off with a stern warning. She probably ought to know better, but if this is the kind of adults she has in her life, where's she going to learn?
Inadvertant or not, she still made physical contact with an official while doing something whose only purpose was to deliberately embarass an official. T'hell with her. Get everything on paper, including all ejections, and get it to the league governing body, AD, state, every paper that you can think of, etc. The idea imo is to try and ensure that this doesn't happen again to another official in this area.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Flagrant T for the coach; flagrant T for the player - and they're both leaving the gym before we continue the game.
I don't know about the player, Mark -- if she'd have thought this up on her own, maybe. And I generally don't let people off the hook for "just following orders", but in this case, I think I would let her off with a stern warning. She probably ought to know better, but if this is the kind of adults she has in her life, where's she going to learn?
Inadvertant or not, she still made physical contact with an official while doing something whose only purpose was to deliberately eMBA">mbarass an official. T'hell with her. Get everything on paper, including all ejections, and get it to the league governing body, AD, state, every paper that you can think of, etc. The idea imo is to try and ensure that this doesn't happen again to another official in this area.
Good idea JR, we're already on it. The only thing is as you know officials aren't supposed to comment on games to reporters, papers etc. My Dad is trying to get someone to report it, possibly the FHS AD.

I spoke to my dad last night and he said the reason he didn't T the girl up is because she turned red and seemed more embarrassed than he was. He didn't feel punishing her because of an idiot coach was the right thing to do at the time.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
'Following orders' or not, this behavior is completely inexcusable. Without any physical contact, I'd consider just giving a technical. If the player made any contact with me whatsoever, she's gone.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:41am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
[/B]
Good idea JR, we're already on it. The only thing is as you know officials aren't supposed to comment on games to reporters, papers etc. My Dad is trying to get someone to report it, possibly the FHS AD.

[/B][/QUOTE]Thumpy, you dad did a great job of handling this. It means that other officials in the future might not have to put up with crap like this, especially our younger, inexperienced officials. Please pass along my personal thanks to him if you don't mind.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Good idea JR, we're already on it. The only thing is as you know officials aren't supposed to comment on games">games to reporters, papers etc. My Dad is trying to get someone to report it, possibly the FHS AD.

[/B]
Thumpy, you dad did a great job of handling this. It means that other officials in the future might not have to put up with crap like this, especially our younger, inexperienced officials. Please pass along my personal thanks to him if you don't mind. [/B][/QUOTE]

I certainly will JR! I talk about this forum and the people on here all the time and what a great tool it is, I'm sure he will greatly appreciate your support!

[Edited by thumpferee on Jan 19th, 2005 at 09:47 AM]
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I hope he sends a letter to the state association about this guy. My state would not look very favorably on it.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:59am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
[/B]
I talk about this forum and the people on here all the time and what a great tool it is, I'm sure he will greatly appreciate your support!

[/B][/QUOTE]Nah, it's the other way around on this one. We appreciate his support.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 10:11am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Attaboy, thumperdad!
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

We had one of these happen in my state a couple of years ago. The state office guy brought video of it to the rules interp meeting at the beginning of the next year. Told us to eject the coach if it happens.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Wack and Toss the coach. Tell the player to guard an opponent and if she doesn't, wack her.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

My dad (who calls himself "The Interpreter") says: "Thank You All for your support. This is definitely a situation which needs to be documented, addressed and dealt with to prevent further incidents from happening in the future to my fellow officials across the country. I am currently in the process of informing local news sources of the incident as well as the NFHS Rules Committee to possibly add this situation and Penalty to future Rules Book publications."