The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Coach for A calls TO. Partner blows whistle, A1 has the ball, as partner goes to administer the TO A1 takes a dribble or two then shoots a three pointer. I called a T and we adminstered it. My thought was we are supposed to prevent practice during a dead ball other than half and pregame. In my mind it was clear that it was a T, but upon looking for rules support, I am not quite sure. I have had kids shoot the ball just after a whistle before, but this was a looooong delay. Not that it matters but his team was up 30 at the time... What says the board???
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Coach for A calls TO. Partner blows whistle, A1 has the ball, as partner goes to administer the TO A1 takes a dribble or two then shoots a three pointer. I called a T and we adminstered it. My thought was we are supposed to prevent practice during a dead ball other than half and pregame. In my mind it was clear that it was a T, but upon looking for rules support, I am not quite sure. I have had kids shoot the ball just after a whistle before, but this was a looooong delay. Not that it matters but his team was up 30 at the time... What says the board???
Warn the team and if they do it again Tee em. Just imagine if the game was close. The Coach would have been in your face and you might have another Tee. There is the rule and the "spirit of the rule" this needs to be kept in mind. JMHO.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

"DID IT MAKE THE GAME BETTER?" If it did, then the "T" was called for; if not, then there was probably a better way of handling the situation.

30+ point game - I would have passed on this one.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 03:47pm
In Memoriam

NFHS rule 2-7-4-- "The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the rules.This includes prohibiting practice during a dead ball, except between halves".

There's no penalty listed.

Cmathews, under which rule did you assess the "T" without warning the player first? Or am I assuming wrong that you didn't warn the player first?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

JR no warning

I didn't warn him. In my mind I used a combination of delay, and the dunking rule. I am with you JR there is no specific penalty listed, so I guess I proabably kicked it. As for the comments above about making the game better etc. this game maybe not, but in the future, there won't be a problem from this team doing that...the coach told us that that was never going to be an issue again....
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 04:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: JR no warning

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
I didn't warn him. In my mind I used a combination of delay, and the dunking rule. I am with you JR there is no specific penalty listed, so I guess I proabably kicked it. As for the comments above about making the game better etc. this game maybe not, but in the future, there won't be a problem from this team doing that...the coach told us that that was never going to be an issue again....
The mark of a great coach; no wonder his team won by 30+.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Its been a while (since I've worked basketball) but doesn't it say something about failing to return the ball to an official in a timely fashion during a dead ball? Just a thought for you guys to chew on and probably spit some good thoughts back out.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 05:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
Its been a while (since I've worked basketball) but doesn't it say something about failing to return the ball to an official in a timely fashion during a dead ball? Just a thought for you guys to chew on and probably spit some good thoughts back out.
Kid takes that shot, I won't T him up, but I will make him get the ball for me with the unspoken notion that he gets a T if he doesn't get it for me.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
NFHS rule 2-7-4-- "The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the rules.This includes prohibiting practice during a dead ball, except between halves".

There's no penalty listed.

Cmathews, under which rule did you assess the "T" without warning the player first? Or am I assuming wrong that you didn't warn the player first?
I agree, JR. There is no penalty for this. You simply put a stop to it. There is no justification for a technical foul here.
The delay of game T, mentioned by Boomer, wouldn't even be appropriate because this action happened after a time-out was granted. 10-3-6b specifically says "when a violation or a foul is called." This is because the player's actions prevent the official from promptly administering the ensuing throw-in. This is not true after the game is stopped for a time-out.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I agree, JR. There is no penalty for this. You simply put a stop to it. There is no justification for a technical foul here.
TRhis makes sense. But if you tell them to stop and they don't, or if they stop but then come out onto the floor and do it again, then there's a T, right? This is unsportsmanlike isn't it?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 06:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
TRhis makes sense. But if you tell them to stop and they don't, or if they stop but then come out onto the floor and do it again, then there's a T, right? This is unsportsmanlike isn't it?
Yup, if they want to ignore your warning to stop practising, then I'd say you can nail them under the general part of R10-3-7.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
Kid takes that shot, I won't T him up, but I will make him get the ball for me with the unspoken notion that he gets a T if he doesn't get it for me.
I like this procedure.
I don't chase balls during a game. If a player has the ball and sets it down on the floor for me to pick it up...nope...
I don't think so...he or a teammate gets the ball.
I tell them they are younger than me, so help me out.

Mostly though, IMO it is out of respect for the officiating crew that a player gives the ball promptly to an official.
Richland, WA