LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: different situations in rec ball

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
OK I'll give you most of those. I wouldn't allow some of it to go unpunished (hanging on the rim, for example), but you definitely make some good points. I was going to use standard HS mechanics during my sentence of working rec ball, but with a running clock, it looks pretty silly when you chop in the clock and it never stopped running in the first place. And you can't take the time to jog to the correct spot after calling a foul to report it. And you can't switch on every foul.
Actually, I always STILL use the standard mechanics even with a running clock with the exception of switching on every foul call (if I have mulitple games). I let the teams know at the beginning that we are playing under HS rules (per the league) and that the only difference is the running clock and that FT's will be played on release.

Regardless of a running clock, the game still goes at YOUR pace. If you want to switch on foul calls then do so, it just might tire you out if you have 3-4 games to work. You can still practice your other mechanics like chop clock, inbound spots, partner communication, foul reporting, etc. Who cares if it looks silly, use the time as an opportunity to work on your game.

That sounds good for your leagues, but unfortunately my rec league assigner, who happens to also be a high school ref, decided that he wants things done differently in rec ball. He owns the business that farms out the officials to the rec leagues, and for him he wants to make the players and coaches happy so they continue to pay him for his services. So he forces us to shortcut our mechanics and even to ignore some of the more obvious calls. We clashed over this a lot, but the bottom line was that if I wanted to work for him, I'd have to do it his way. For example, he didn't want us calling any free throw violations on the shooter, no matter how far they stepped over the line. I could never understand why - I asked him point blank, and he never had a good answer for me. So I don't work with him anymore.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

If my partner would ever pull this on me I'd be furious.
Why wasn't he at the endline with the ball ready for the FT? How in the world could he be thinking this was an apropriate thing to do?

I know, as an european, we do things diferently, but I think not undermining your partners authority is a big thing here. My first reaction after the initial post was;
What an a$$#ole.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 12:06pm
Huck Finn

I haven't looked at this thread for a couple of days but there have been some great replies. In rec games I have had:

A player give me the finger in the middle of the paint....and hold it even after the T
Two players on the same team argue, one knocked the other one cold outside after the game
Called games in gyms that seemed unsafe (they didn't know me at first)

There are more things that I can't even remember right now. My tolerance level is varied due to a lot of these experiences. I have been called a "gunslinger" lately for throwing a coach out of a HS game. Little did the guy know that the assigner got a letter two days earlier about the same coach from another official. I rarely have a higher tolerance than my partner(s) in a high school game because I don't think the HS environment is the place for a lot of the BS that goes on.