View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493
I had a rec league game the other night.

Mid way through the fourth quarter I called a shooting foul on B1.

As I approached the table the coach, who was in his box and had not said a word to me or my partner all night, got up and (what I considered politely) asked why it was not a travel instead of a foul.

I quickly explained that the foul caused the travel.

He politely said "O.K."

In the meantime my partner was lining the players up to shoot.

As I approached the free-throw line to administer the first shot, I looked down and my partner was not there, he was the bench "preaching to the coach"

He spent a good 5 minutes, with ball in hand, explaining to the coach why coaches were not supposed to talk to referees in the manner he did (which once again I did not find offensive).

I tried to get him away from the bench, he would not.

I tried to get the ball so we could at least shoot the first, he would not give it.

After the game my partner approached me and stated "I'm glad to see that you stand up for yourself with the coaches."

Once again I felt I had done all that I needed to do.

Just thought I would see how you would have handled the situation.
I have a gentlemen that I am sometimes (if assigned I'll work with him if I have a choice I won't) assigned to work with. Away from the court he's a very pleasant person. Sometimes on the court he does goofy things such as going into the stands talking to parents etc. I will do everything that I can to prevent this but if I can't I just stay away and let the chips fall where they may. Any anger or bad feelings are directed at my partner and not to me. I'm sure that you were taken by surprise if this should happen again stay away if possible let your partner take the heat.