The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up it is finnaly timeto participate

I have monitored this website for quite awhile and finally registered earlier in the year this is my first comment.

I want to say that i find this a very disterbing subject and the outcome horrific.

but my real comments are to be addressed to those who have participated in this discussion and the other thread 'WAYS TO COMMENT", i contacted the courthouse to express my dismay and got a response with the phone numbers for the Judge and presiding judge. I will not post them but I would suggest that you do contact the courthouse and express your opinion get the numbers and call and express your opinion.

While we work we are a minority, as agroup we are a force.

I would also sugest that letters and comments be directed to Barry Mano at refferee magazine and the NASO.

Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I made similar comments to Allegheny county and to the news reporters.

You can too.

see
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/17595
Hey, I like the way you think. Dang, you posted your comments before mine - do I owe you a royalty or something?

Anyway, I went ahead and sent my own polemic to both. Thanks for the link. I'm gonna send it along to all the coaches and officials I know so they too can reply.

Thanks again!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

The best outcome is at least there is a conviction. My guess is that in that (unless wierd laws apply there) it will be used against this guy in the civil suit. He wont get out of that one.

Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I sent comments in about the judges decision as well.

We NEED to support our profession and send a complaint. The reasons the judge acquitted, and Dukovich saying he did not know Bell was an official after watching him work the game for almost 3 qtrs is one of the stupidest things I have EVER heard in my life!!!

Horrible thing for a fan to do, and a judge gives him NO jail time and acquits him on assault on a sports official, reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct. If body slamming someone does not fit those charges, what does!!!! Pathetic!!!

Voice your opinion at http://www.county.allegheny.pa.us/feedback/
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Referee's attacker gets a pass
Acquitted on 3 of 4 charges, he's spared jail

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05014/442169.stm
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

In the light of what has happened, what is the school admin, organisers, local referee association, etc. going to do or prepared to do to back and support Mr.Bell?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Sorry I haven't been on to update for a while, major computer problems (again). Nick, officials are still mostly in shock and outrage about what can be done, although I know that the response to Judge Zattola has been nationwide from officials. Many newspapers in the area have also written editorials condemning the judge's verdict.

For those of you that have given me advise in my sitch, thank you. It helps to know that I have the support of so many people. I have decided to pursue my case, and will be speaking with the district attorney's office tomorrow. It will be up to them whether to follow through on my complaint. Will keep you posted.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 06:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Sorry I haven't been on to update for a while, major computer problems (again). Nick, officials are still mostly in shock and outrage about what can be done, although I know that the response to Judge Zattola has been nationwide from officials. Many newspapers in the area have also written editorials condemning the judge's verdict.

For those of you that have given me advise in my sitch, thank you. It helps to know that I have the support of so many people. I have decided to pursue my case, and will be speaking with the district attorney's office tomorrow. It will be up to them whether to follow through on my complaint. Will keep you posted.
Todd, from all of us, thank you. Even if it never goes anywhere, it might make the other party think a little bit next time before getting involved.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I saw something I had never seen during a varsity girls basketball game. One of the players reached inside her jersey and pulled out lip gloss or some such thing. Maybe the time has come where we ref games with a small can of mace stuck in our pants. I'll bet there are guys who do that.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 02:37pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by buckrog64
I saw something I had never seen during a varsity girls basketball game. One of the players reached inside her jersey and pulled out lip gloss or some such thing. Maybe the time has come where we ref games with a small can of mace stuck in our pants. I'll bet there are guys who do that.
The sad thing would be that if an official did this and someone attacked him and the official used it. The official would probably get charged and found guilty of excessive force or something like that.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The other day I worked with a partner I had not met yet and during our small talk, I found out he is a Federal Prosecuter. TMP, my guess is that there is someone in your organization who is "connected". Maybe they can help you.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:

The other day I worked with a partner I had not met yet and during our small talk, I found out he is a Federal Prosecuter. TMP, my guess is that there is someone in your organization who is "connected". Maybe they can help you.
One of my partners last week was a homicide investigator. I've known him for several years and told him that I hoped we did not need his "expertise" that night.