The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Geek,

I can't agree with you more in regard to a game destroying two families but, it was not the game that did this but the actions of a few. Namely Mr. Dukovich. All I know regarding the case is what I have read in the paper. It appears that Mr. Dukovich is lying to protect his hyde. All school officials, police officers, and other witness' state that Mr. Dukovich attack this official with no provocation. You can tell the true colors of a person when they are backed into a corner and the image we get of Mr. Dukovich tells something other than your knowledge of this man.

I always go back to something that I've heard numerous times that amazes me. After most murderer's, rapists, and various violent criminals are arrested, convicted, and even sentenced, the neighbors, families, and people that knew the criminal all say "What a nice person they were".
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I agree with what you are saying, and also believe that Mr. Dukovich and his lawyer are lying to avoid or minimize the appropriate punishment. For instance, I believe there is no way you can grab a person around the waste with two hands, pick them over your head, and slam them, without knowing the they are wearing a striped shirt, which is the claim of the defense.

As the official who relayed the story to me said, "he was wrong and must pay for what he did". I will personally be very angry if Mr. Dukovich does not receive a jail sentence in the 6-24 month range.

I also feel the Mrs. Dukovich instigated the situation, and got off light. I do feel bad for the son involved, he had nothing to do with the actions of his father, but will be stigmatized by those actions.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Update

Verdict comes in at during the morning today (Thursday). I have a contact at the courthouse who is an attorney and should be able to find out relatively quickly. BTW, thanks Geek for posting the link earlier...I'm having major computer problems and appreciate the pick up! Also, are you in Westmoreland Chapter (Mon-Valley here)?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:52am
In Memoriam

Geek and tmp44- thanks for the updates and information, guys. These things impact all of us.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Parent acquitted in 3 of 4 charges in referee assault

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05013/441714.stm
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Angry VERDICT--UNBELIEVEABLE

Dukovich was acquitted on 3 of the 4 charges, including assault on a sports official. He was convicted of simple assault and will face no jail time when sentenced in mid-Feb. Here's the article on the verdict.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05013/441714.stm

I thought that states were putting these laws in to protect us. Just not a good day for officials IMO.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 12:49pm
M.A.S.H.

But Dukovich said he didn't realize Bell was a referee despite his striped shirt and repeated use of his whistle, and he said he pushed him rather than body slammed him.

BULL$HIT!!!!

Zottola said today that the behavior of sports fans was getting out of hand but he acquitted Dukovich of the one charge -- assault on a sports official -- that tied the case to a sporting event.

If this isn't assault on a sports official.... what the f**ck is????

Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

If this is not an attack on sports official I don't know what is! The fact that he has lead an exemplary life up to this point doesn't mean squat. He did what he did and those actions should carry a punishment. I guess everyone who committs a felony, that has lead an exemplary life up to that point should be aquitted. Pure Garbage.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 12:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Guess now we know why Dokovich requested a non-jury trial...he knew there was no way a jury would acquit him, but figured he could find that one idiot judge who would say that fans are out of control, but this guy's a pretty good guy and so I won't find him guilty of assaulting an official...sad day for officials - yep, but even sadder for our judiciary...
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

One count of simple assault.

Well, at least Mr. Bell can hopefully get compensated for his medical bills, pain and lost time at work when he sues in civil court.

If this jerk can afford to send his kids to Ivy league schools...he should be able to fork over some compensation for Mr. Bell. (looks like he was able to afford a pretty good attorney)

BTW, how much would any of you take to be in Mr. Bell's situation...$10,000...$20,000...$500,000?
Not me...I want my health and my hobbies!

Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:15pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I hope someone takes that a** into a dark alley and beats the sh*t out of him. I hope the civil suit gets Mr. Bell everything that entire family owns. Someone touches me, I'm getting the police and pressing charges no matter who they are. The courts need to start making examples of these idiots.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Wow

This pisses me off!! Wow!

Thx for the posts...
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:20pm
In Memoriam

Sad! No wonder we're having trouble finding and keeping officials.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I know one thing, this verdict today doesn't give me any hope about the sitch I described that happened to me in my original post. One of the reasons why I haven't pressed charges yet is because I wanted to see how the trial ended. Just doesn't give me much of a motivation to do it now, I guess.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Big Dude

A picture of the defendant is on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's main page, http://www.postgazette.com . I don't think I would want to get body slammed by him, that's for sure.