The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

He's a good guy says who?
So far as they know he's a good guy, but it seems that this Judge has questionable standards to determine who's a good gut and who's not. I still feel sorry for his kids, I'm sure they're proud of their Dad and now they could suffer from financial loss. I feel for Bell's kids to if he has any.
I smell a rat! Something's not right with this. Why have the officials law if you don't consider a body slam as assault on an official?
Hopefully Bell wins in a civil suit but like RookieDude said, I'd rather have my health.

TMP44, you've still gotta go on with your situation. Don't let this get you down rather let it motivate you. Keep us informed.

[Edited by ChrisSportsFan on Jan 13th, 2005 at 01:31 PM]
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Todd,

Hey, I don't think you should give up hope, really. It is quite sad how the verdict ended, but as we know in many high-profile cases, the civil suit is larger yet less publicized (ie. koby briant). However, in your sitch, an arm grab really isn't too bad. I've had a few of those from fans, I just simply 'evil eye' them and either ask them 'why they are touching me,' or 'to please let go of me,' or 'please don't touch me.' I definately feel that you could make a some noise on yours though espcially since you're in the same area as the above case. Someone earlier has mentioned taking clippings and copies (and even copies of this forum) to do some of your 'selling of the call.'

good luck.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
I know one thing, this verdict today doesn't give me any hope about the sitch I described that happened to me in my original post. One of the reasons why I haven't pressed charges yet is because I wanted to see how the trial ended. Just doesn't give me much of a motivation to do it now, I guess.
tmp44. this would give me more motivation. if you (read: we as officials) let verdicts like this discourage us from filing legitimate charges (legitimate is key, cuz I disdain BS and frivolous judicial issues) then we will not gain any ground and in fact we may lose ground. I say follow through with whatever action is appropriate despite the outcoume of this case. If we make enough noise.... someone, eventually, has to hear it.

Weigh the details and if you would have followed through with charges had this case never existed, you should still follow through. If not, let it go and move on. My opinion.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Hmmmm, it makes you think. Based on the criteria used to decide this case, a basically good guy could then body slam a judge that he disagreed with and be acquitted of 3/4 of the charges. Wouldn't need to serve any jail time either. I'll bet you the dollar in my pocket that if somebody posed that question to the judge in this case, the judge would not agree.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Let me see....

You're convicted of simple assault.

The guy you assaulted is a sports official.

But you're acquitted of assaulting a sports official.

And our system of jurisprudence works how again?

"I didn't know the guy in the striped shirt with the whistle was a sports official. I thought he was a sports bar waitress."

Tell you what, someone comes onto a court at me, two things are going to happen: One, I'm decking the person, and two, I'm hanging 'em up.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know one thing, this verdict today doesn't give me any hope about the sitch I described that happened to me in my original post. One of the reasons why I haven't pressed charges yet is because I wanted to see how the trial ended. Just doesn't give me much of a motivation to do it now, I guess.
Todd,

You need to do this. Even if she gets of, you are still sending a message that we officials are not going to stand for this!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:35pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by kenref1
Quote:
Todd,

You need to do this. Even if she gets of, you are still sending a message that we officials are not going to stand for this!
Todd,

Yes!! We (not trying to speak for everyone) stand behind you on this matter, because it is a very very serious matter/problem.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

This reminds me of that a$$ clown that attacked the Royals first base coach and got off with a slap on the wrist. I hope the people in this area vote out this judge during the next election.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

I should note that if someone the size of the 300 pound parent comes at me on the court, I'm going to heed my father's advice that discretion is the better part of valor and hightail it out of there if it all possible. Another reason to stay fit!
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 04:29pm
In Memoriam

Man Gets Probation in Botched Castration
PITTSBURGH - A man who botched the castration of a transgendered woman will spend the next three years on probation. "I have no intention of doing this again to animals or humans," Douglas Lenhart, 49, told Allegheny County Judge John Zottola on Monday. "I'm completely out of this. Completely done."

Zottola sentenced Lenhart to jail time he had already served and will let him serve his probation in Kansas City, Kan., where he now lives.

Prisoner Rape in the News

Mike Wereschagin, Guard Convicted in Earlier Sex Case, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, February 4, 2004.

An Allegheny County Jail guard awaiting trial for trading cigarettes for sex with female inmates was fired in 1995 after an indecent assault conviction but later reinstated.

The fact that Joseph Addison, 54, of Hazelwood, regained his county jail job despite serving three years of probation stunned his first victim.

"I don't understand how he could get his job back," said the woman, now 22, of East Liberty, in an interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. The newspaper does not identify victims of sexual assault.

Judge John Zottola convicted Addison of indecent assault and harassment for groping her, when she was only 13, in October 1994 at his home. Zottola sentenced Addison to three years' probation, which is within the standard range of state sentencing guidelines.

Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Man Gets Probation in Botched Castration
PITTSBURGH - A man who botched the castration of a transgendered woman will spend the next three years on probation. "I have no intention of doing this again to animals or humans," Douglas Lenhart, 49, told Allegheny County Judge John Zottola on Monday. "I'm completely out of this. Completely done."

Zottola sentenced Lenhart to jail time he had already served and will let him serve his probation in Kansas City, Kan., where he now lives.

Prisoner Rape in the News

Mike Wereschagin, Guard Convicted in Earlier Sex Case, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, February 4, 2004.

An Allegheny County Jail guard awaiting trial for trading cigarettes for sex with female inmates was fired in 1995 after an indecent assault conviction but later reinstated.

The fact that Joseph Addison, 54, of Hazelwood, regained his county jail job despite serving three years of probation stunned his first victim.

"I don't understand how he could get his job back," said the woman, now 22, of East Liberty, in an interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. The newspaper does not identify victims of sexual assault.

Judge John Zottola convicted Addison of indecent assault and harassment for groping her, when she was only 13, in October 1994 at his home. Zottola sentenced Addison to three years' probation, which is within the standard range of state sentencing guidelines.

Whew. I'm thanking my lucky stars I'm not within Judge Zottola's jurisdiction.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I hope that the school has taken step to bar this guy from attending any games,
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Lets see, I have my stripped shirt, black pants, shine on my new black shoes, whistle....Damn, forgot my night stick for the fans!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
But Dukovich said he didn't realize Bell was a referee despite his striped shirt and repeated use of his whistle...

Er, um, I'm guessing this apparently near-sighted fellow had 20/20 vision all night long with respect to the calls being made on the floor. Must have lost that great eyesight when he actually got on the floor.

So let me see, if he wasn't planning to body-slam the official, who else would be on a basketball floor in the middle of a game - players? Was he intending to body-slam a player? Or maybe a coach? Yup, all that makes a hell of lot more sense to me...

Sheesh!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

I made similar comments to Allegheny county and to the news reporters.

You can too.

see
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/17595