Thread: I need to vent!
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Worked a Boy's Varsity Game the other night. A real tough game to call, in that it was very physical on both ends. The teams were pressing often and the game was played at a very fast pace. I called a player control foul early on in the game. The coach immediately started screaming. His comment seemed to show his lack of rules knowledge. He screamed, "how can you call that." The defender's feet were moving." Yes, the defender's feet were moving. They were back pedaling towards his basket. The offensive player was driving to that basket and made contact with the defender in his chest area. I thought it was a simple call. The coach wanted an explanation as I was running past him on a live ball. Naturally, I couldn't stop to give it to him. He rode me a few more times and at one point asked me if the game was too much for me to handle. I looked him dead in the eye and told him it wasn't. My next interaction with him was during a call that I probably should have held the whistle on. I was the lead. I was watching my primary coverage area, when a three point shot was put up from the opposite side. My partner in the trail put up a three point attempt signal. As the ball was in flight, one of the defensive players pushed the player he was guarding. I immediately blew the whistle. The ball went in. I came around the players to report the foul. I signaled to count the three point goal and reported the foul. The coach was livid when he learned that the shot was good and the offense was going to be given the ball back. Luckily, they were not in the bonus. He wanted an explanation and I gave it to him. He couldn't believe that the goal was good and they, the offense, were to retain possession of the ball. His team was up by four at this point and when the ball was in bounded a quick three pointer was scored.

At halftime, I told my partner that I was very close to rewarding the coach with a well deserved "T." I made up my mind that the next time he got on me, I'd give him one final warning. I know that some of my fellow officials are going to say I waited too long. I probably did. Well the half came and went without having to "T" him up. His team, won by two points. In the locker room the coach sent his scorer down to get my name. The coaches rate the officials and I guess he wanted to make sure who I was. I gave it to him. The scorer then informed me that the coach wanted it, so that he could call my interpreter. I wasn't too happy about that, but what could you do. To add insult to injury, he came down to the locker room several minutes later and shook my partner's hand. He congratulated him on a "good game" and did not look in my direction. What a jerk!

Now I know why some people are content just working the lower level. I'm going to continue to strive to do my best and remain at the varsity level. I am not going to allow him to ruin my love of the game, and I will not blackball him. I could refuse to work future assignments for his team. I am going to show him that I am better than he is. As a matter of fact, I hope I get one of his games next year! Thanks for letting me vent.
Coupla things:

1. There's nothing wrong with going to the coach with an explanation after you report a foul. Goes double if he's a screamer - that's a good way to put him in his place man to man early on. "C'mon coach, don't you teach your players to move their feet on defense? I know you do, so why are you making a big deal about this?" The calmer you say this the more he'll get the idea that you are in control of him and not to be f*cked with. Of course, you gotta back that up next time he goes after you. And I don't mean with a warnng.

2. I can't help but think that unless B2 pushed A2 to the ground on that shot in a way that made even B's fans drop their jaws you should have left this alone, at least until you saw if the ball went in or not.

3. You should have called your assignor first to give him your side of the story and a heads up.

Hang in there!

Oops, forgot 1 more thing: make sure your name is in the home book & the visitors book for every game. This will avoid the "I need to get your name" mess after games.

[Edited by Dan_ref on Jan 10th, 2005 at 11:30 AM]