The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

I think this sitch is a recent rule change but I can't find a direct NFHS ref.

After making a great play A1; a)pounds their chest or head, b)blows a kiss to the crowd, c)raises their hands to encourage the crowd to cheer. I think you get the point.

Is this a T? If so, do you call it immediately? What if the other team has a great fastbreak going because team A is celebrating instead of getting back to play defense?

Thanks in advance. This is a 2nd attempt because I didn't put a subject in the 1st time.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 09:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ridge Wiz

After making a great play A1; a)pounds their chest or head, b)blows a kiss to the crowd, c)raises their hands to encourage the crowd to cheer. I think you get the point.

Is this a T? If so, do you call it immediately? What if the other team has a great fastbreak going because team A is celebrating instead of getting back to play defense?

Thanks in advance. This is a 2nd attempt because I didn't put a subject in the 1st time.
It's not a rule change. It is a POE from last year's rule book. If you still have the 2003-04 rulebook, it's POE 1A on p69.

From that POE:
-Furthermore, the committee is is concerned with the trend towards players "playing to the crowd", attempting to increase attention and praise for their own individual accomplishments rather than towards the game itself and team achievements. While many of these actions are not specifically illegal by rule, extreme behaviour could and should be considered taunting and baiting of the opponents.

Iow, if you think that the "playing to the crowd" is unsporting, then, yes, you can nail them. The chest pounding- maybe. I don't think I'd do it if they were trying to get the crowd to cheer, though. That's not unsporting or taunting, imo. Might be wise to do a l'il warning before "T"ing.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Well it depends

Quote:
Originally posted by Ridge Wiz

If they want to kiss the crowd while the other team is scoring that's fine with me.

But unless he's directing his actions toward another player or the other team I usually will ignore them.

If its kind of extreme I'll make a point to "get his attention" and let him know to knock if off.

Keep it simple and keep the clock moving.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with all responses.

I've seen overert celebrations quickly turn to taunting.

Thats where I draw the line and the T
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 09:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

You do not want to take the joy and spontaneity out of the game completely. But if something is over the top, I have no problem with someone taking action. I think this is a case by case basis and needs to be treated that way. I really do not see that kind of behavior, so it is really hard to say what I would do. If I could have a "talk to" I would rather do that first. I would just have to see it first.

Peace