LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

So, how'd the eval go Juulie?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Thanks for all the inquiries, here, below, and on e-mail . You guys and gals are the greatest!!

I haven't posted about it because I'm not sure how it went and I wanted to think about it a little. I thought I did pretty well, and I felt good over all. Except fr a couple of really ugly mechanics screw-ups. The partner was great and we worked well together, I thought. He said so, too.

But the only comments I got were suggestions for improvements, no praise at all, and the suggestions were two very big things, and several small things. I don't know how to interpret this, since I don't know Howard very well. Was I good enough to move up, or not? No clue, and I was so busy listening, and digesting, that I forgot to ask.

One thing I do know, is that tonight I was working to put the suggestions into my game, and they really did make a big difference. One was to move more to try harder for a good angle. The other+9 was to trt to stay closer to the ball on trail, ie move more toward the center of the floor when the ball was on the other side, and in general move down closer to the basket. Tonight I really say more calls and no-calls, and saw them more clearly. I also waw why I hadn't been moving in closer on trail--it makes it harder to get back down the floor in'a big hurry1! So I need to improving my s0prnting skiill a little (Sorry about the typos my 2 yr old is helping!)

If these are really the only things I need to work on, I should be looking pretty good by camp, where he will see me again. In the meantime, I may seek some interpretation from a vet or two around here. (Mark, care to jkump in here?)

This last 10 days has really been formative for me though. I aw a real difference in my work both last night and tonight. I feel much calmer and more confidetn and I fell more controlled and in control (for instance, I whacked a coach tonight, and have absolutely no questions about it -- I just knew it was right). This dis due to the combination of the very bad mess last weekend, a week of soull-searching, and preparation for eval, a very busy weekend with several important calls, and of course the added leavening of this board. II feel ready for JV, I juyst don't know if Howard could see that or not. I hope I can get the message across before October, if I didn't last night. We'll see!!
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 09:29am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Jewel,
That's pretty okay.
Sounds like good suggestions from Howard.
Mark makes him sound like a fair icon.
Good luck.
mick
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Thanks for all the inquiries, here, below, and on e-mail . You guys and gals are the greatest!!

I haven't posted about it because I'm not sure how it went and I wanted to think about it a little. I thought I did pretty well, and I felt good over all. Except fr a couple of really ugly mechanics screw-ups. The partner was great and we worked well together, I thought. He said so, too.

But the only comments I got were suggestions for improvements, no praise at all, and the suggestions were two very big things, and several small things. I don't know how to interpret this, since I don't know Howard very well. Was I good enough to move up, or not? No clue, and I was so busy listening, and digesting, that I forgot to ask.

One thing I do know, is that tonight I was working to put the suggestions into my game, and they really did make a big difference. One was to move more to try harder for a good angle. The other+9 was to trt to stay closer to the ball on trail, ie move more toward the center of the floor when the ball was on the other side, and in general move down closer to the basket. Tonight I really say more calls and no-calls, and saw them more clearly. I also waw why I hadn't been moving in closer on trail--it makes it harder to get back down the floor in'a big hurry1! So I need to improving my s0prnting skiill a little (Sorry about the typos my 2 yr old is helping!)

If these are really the only things I need to work on, I should be looking pretty good by camp, where he will see me again. In the meantime, I may seek some interpretation from a vet or two around here. (Mark, care to jkump in here?)

This last 10 days has really been formative for me though. I aw a real difference in my work both last night and tonight. I feel much calmer and more confidetn and I fell more controlled and in control (for instance, I whacked a coach tonight, and have absolutely no questions about it -- I just knew it was right). This dis due to the combination of the very bad mess last weekend, a week of soull-searching, and preparation for eval, a very busy weekend with several important calls, and of course the added leavening of this board. II feel ready for JV, I juyst don't know if Howard could see that or not. I hope I can get the message across before October, if I didn't last night. We'll see!!
Don't worry too much about getting beat on transition
from trail. There's just no way in 2 person that you
can beat the players down the floor every time! I guess
by now you know what to do if you're beat, which is to
slow down & watch the play from behind, settle about the FT line for the layup and then get to the endline
if it misses. Some people call this the buttonhook.
As trail you need to conciously take at least 1 step in
on the shot, keep moving in if there's a lot of rebound
and put back action underneath. If there's a quick outlet
and fastbreak follow from behind, as I already said.

I don't know Howard Mayo but you'll see a wide range of
styles from evaluators. Some like to give equal doses of
praise & criticism, others don't. If he pointed out
2 major things and some minor things that means you've got
some major tings to work on (duh!). At some point you'll
only be getting minor things from evaluators (well, mixed
with the occasional big screw-ups that happen to us all).
Hang in there, it sounds like you're working hard and you
will get there!
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 12:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Good job Juulie

One thing I know is always on his "look for" list is when the ball moves to the side away from the lead down low and the lead slides over to the ball side, does the trail then change his (or, in your case, her) head positioning so that it's obvious to an observer that the trail is now covering the off ball area.

I think you have already decided that your best tactic now is to demonstrate at camp that you learned from your eval and are making the effort to put what you learned into practice.

Also, as stated above in this thread, don't underestimate the value of the buttonhook. It gives you a much better view of the play than being beaten back and having to look at the play from the side.

BTW - congrats for whacking a coach. Way to go.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 12:24pm
In Memoriam

Question Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
One thing I know is always on his "look for" list is when the ball moves to the side away from the lead down low and the lead slides over to the ball side, does the trail then change his (or, in your case, her) head positioning so that it's obvious to an observer that the trail is now covering the off ball area.

Mark,
it has been my belief that once the Lead goes to strong side, the Lead still maintains lane coverage, and off ball coverage (sans Center), and the Trail will stay with the ball until the ball goes to Lead primary.
Thoughts?
mick
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

When I'm lead and I move the strong side (same side as trail), I'm usually working to get a better angle on low post play. I find myself not moving as much as lead until I get a feel for what the offense is trying to do, and if I know it's coming low post than I'll move strong side. But I always keep my eyes in the key and within the area that I was responsible for before I made the move. Of course, I'm a rookie and open to criticism
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Mark,
it has been my belief that once the Lead goes to strong side, the Lead still maintains lane coverage, and off ball coverage (sans Center), and the Trail will stay with the ball until the ball goes to Lead primary.
Thoughts?
mick
On this the trail should move up around the 3 pt arc towards
the middle of the floor a few steps to referee the
area the lead just left, no? Mark, do you just turn your head to assume your "new" area? Mick, the only time
the T stays with the ball in this case is when there's a
closely guarded count going, no?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 01:36pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Re: Huh?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Mick, the only time

Dan,
I, as Trail, have always maintained my area of responsibility (my 3/4 of the Front Court). Just because the Lead came over I have never consciously given up the base line area up.

As Lead, I git across the lane and turn back toward my primary and am ready to assist, not take over, in my partner's primary.

I have never heard, or read, about giving up a primary in a two-whistle. Yet, it's an automatic in 3-whistle.

Additionally, with the Lead on the strong side and the ball headed in the other direction, the Trail (New Lead) stays on that side of the court, and the Lead (New Trail) crosses over, to box the play, to the side for which he originally had primary.

mick
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Huh?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Mick, the only time

Dan,
I, as Trail, have always maintained my area of responsibility (my 3/4 of the Front Court). Just because the Lead came over I have never consciously given up the base line area up.

As Lead, I git across the lane and turn back toward my primary and am ready to assist, not take over, in my partner's primary.

I have never heard, or read, about giving up a primary in a two-whistle. Yet, it's an automatic in 3-whistle.

Additionally, with the Lead on the strong side and the ball headed in the other direction, the Trail (New Lead) stays on that side of the court, and the Lead (New Trail) crosses over, to box the play, to the side for which he originally had primary.

mick
Mick,

I think we're saying almost the same thing here, let's see.
As lead, you go ball side in order to referee the low post
stuff (essentially). You've turned somewhat away from
your primary, the trail now has resposbility for the
far side low post & lane line. Agree? We also agree when
the ball goes the other way the lead goes back to his
original side. My point is that the lead now has more
responsibility on the strong side than the trail did,
and the trail now has responsibility on the far side
low post, which he did not have before. Agree? This new
responsibility is why the trail swings up a few steps
around the 3 pt arc. If we agree then the lead should have
the ball as it approaches the ball side end line. I
think this is where we disagree. No?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 02:19pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Re: Re: Re: Huh?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Dan,

mick
Mick,

As lead, you go ball side in order to referee the low post
stuff (essentially). You've turned somewhat away from
your primary, the trail now has resposbility for the
far side low post & lane line. Agree?

No, I turn back to my original 1/4 of the Front Court. I do not assume the Trail's baseline area. He still owns it.

We also agree when
the ball goes the other way the lead goes back to his
original side.

Yes.

My point is that the lead now has more
responsibility on the strong side than the trail did,
and the trail now has responsibility on the far side
low post, which he did not have before. Agree?

No, again. The Lead's primary does not change. He is on the other side of the lane to assist. He is only on another side of the lane with the same primary. That is a very long reach for Trail to take the baseline on his opposite side, although the few steps in that direction would help. It's much easier for the Lead to keep it by looking through the lane.

This new responsibility is why the trail swings up a few steps around the 3 pt arc. If we agree then the lead should have the ball as it approaches the ball side end line. I think this is where we disagree. No?

Yes. IF we agreed. But, we don't.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Huh?

Quote:

Mick,

I have found that some of this disagreement is related to the definition of "lead's primary". Some of the guys I work with say that it extends only to the far lane line. The rest of the trail's side is technically the trails, although there's some dual area there (especially on a drive, or where the defense comes from the lead's side to help). In this case, when the lead moves over, he's not moving on-ball, he's moving to get a better look at the off-ball stuff.

The other option is that the lead's area extends to the three-point arc. In this instance, lead is moving over to get a better look at the on-ball stuff. Trail must shift to pick up the off-ball stuff.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 03:05pm
In Memoriam

Question Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Mick,

I have found that some of this disagreement is related to the definition of "lead's primary". Some of the guys I work with say that it extends only to the far lane line. The rest of the trail's side is technically the trails, although there's some dual area there (especially on a drive, or where the defense comes from the lead's side to help). In this case, when the lead moves over, he's not moving on-ball, he's moving to get a better look at the off-ball stuff.

The other option is that the lead's area extends to the three-point arc. In this instance, lead is moving over to get a better look at the on-ball stuff. Trail must shift to pick up the off-ball stuff.
Bob,
If I am reading this correctly. There are two schools of thought, and Dan and I went to different schools.

mick

At least I went to a public school.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Huh?

Bob,
If I am reading this correctly. There are two schools of thought, and Dan and I went to different schools.

Next time we work together let's make sure we have a
really good pregame!

At least I went to a public school.

Wow. I'm impressed by your memory!
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Sounds to me that you did a pretty good job. The serious points of concern stated by your evaluator are the most common that most newer officials get, Movement to get the best angles is key to good calls. Penetration by trail is equally important and as you gain experience your reaction time to transition will improve and you will rarely get beat down the floor on the break. Staying with the dribbler as trail is also very important so ypu don't miss the carry and double dribble violations that often occur at the lower levels. Movement by trail to the centre of the court is also important so you are closer to your play and have the best angle. It sounds to me that Howard is a very good evaluator and did a good job pointing out these very important areas, The fact that he didn't praise is just his style and the fact that he didn't suggest that you advance to higher levels just means he want to see you again to see if you have made the improvements he suggested.
Work hard. Do what he suggested and you will see yourself improving every day.
Good Luck on your Camp and next eval.