View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Thanks for all the inquiries, here, below, and on e-mail . You guys and gals are the greatest!!

I haven't posted about it because I'm not sure how it went and I wanted to think about it a little. I thought I did pretty well, and I felt good over all. Except fr a couple of really ugly mechanics screw-ups. The partner was great and we worked well together, I thought. He said so, too.

But the only comments I got were suggestions for improvements, no praise at all, and the suggestions were two very big things, and several small things. I don't know how to interpret this, since I don't know Howard very well. Was I good enough to move up, or not? No clue, and I was so busy listening, and digesting, that I forgot to ask.

One thing I do know, is that tonight I was working to put the suggestions into my game, and they really did make a big difference. One was to move more to try harder for a good angle. The other+9 was to trt to stay closer to the ball on trail, ie move more toward the center of the floor when the ball was on the other side, and in general move down closer to the basket. Tonight I really say more calls and no-calls, and saw them more clearly. I also waw why I hadn't been moving in closer on trail--it makes it harder to get back down the floor in'a big hurry1! So I need to improving my s0prnting skiill a little (Sorry about the typos my 2 yr old is helping!)

If these are really the only things I need to work on, I should be looking pretty good by camp, where he will see me again. In the meantime, I may seek some interpretation from a vet or two around here. (Mark, care to jkump in here?)

This last 10 days has really been formative for me though. I aw a real difference in my work both last night and tonight. I feel much calmer and more confidetn and I fell more controlled and in control (for instance, I whacked a coach tonight, and have absolutely no questions about it -- I just knew it was right). This dis due to the combination of the very bad mess last weekend, a week of soull-searching, and preparation for eval, a very busy weekend with several important calls, and of course the added leavening of this board. II feel ready for JV, I juyst don't know if Howard could see that or not. I hope I can get the message across before October, if I didn't last night. We'll see!!
Don't worry too much about getting beat on transition
from trail. There's just no way in 2 person that you
can beat the players down the floor every time! I guess
by now you know what to do if you're beat, which is to
slow down & watch the play from behind, settle about the FT line for the layup and then get to the endline
if it misses. Some people call this the buttonhook.
As trail you need to conciously take at least 1 step in
on the shot, keep moving in if there's a lot of rebound
and put back action underneath. If there's a quick outlet
and fastbreak follow from behind, as I already said.

I don't know Howard Mayo but you'll see a wide range of
styles from evaluators. Some like to give equal doses of
praise & criticism, others don't. If he pointed out
2 major things and some minor things that means you've got
some major tings to work on (duh!). At some point you'll
only be getting minor things from evaluators (well, mixed
with the occasional big screw-ups that happen to us all).
Hang in there, it sounds like you're working hard and you
will get there!