Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
No long switches is a natural mechanic and, frankly, works well in 2-whistle as well. It's unnatural to call a rebounding foul as a trail, report and then have everyone watch as you switch to become the new trail going the other way.
You may feel that it is unusual, but it is correct. The no long switch concept does not apply to 2-man. I hope that you aren't doing it that way.
We do it, but it's silly.

As the state offices in WA and IL have proven, mechanics manuals are filled with suggestions.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As the state offices in WA and IL have proven, mechanics manuals are filled with suggestions.
I thought that Tim Higgins proved that.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

You may feel that it is unusual, but it is correct. The no long switch concept does not apply to 2-man. I hope that you aren't doing it that way.
There is a significant, albeit unsanctioned, movement in IL to avoid the long switch in two-person games as well. From what I know, it works well.

Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The "no long switch" in 2-whistle works fine, but so does the "long switch". There's nothing silly about the backcourt switch, b/c the calling official (often on the endline) is supposed to go to the reporting area to report the foul. So since you're already above the 3-point arc, just stay there.

If you want to get rid of the reporting area, then no long switch makes more sense than the long switch. But if you're reporting correctly, then you might as well just make the switch. It's not really that big a deal. It doesn't save that many steps.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The "no long switch" in 2-whistle works fine, but so does the "long switch". There's nothing silly about the backcourt switch, b/c the calling official (often on the endline) is supposed to go to the reporting area to report the foul. So since you're already above the 3-point arc, just stay there.

If you want to get rid of the reporting area, then no long switch makes more sense than the long switch. But if you're reporting correctly, then you might as well just make the switch. It's not really that big a deal. It doesn't save that many steps.
I think someone already said that the no long switch in 2 man allows the other guy to remain focused on the teams as they wander downcourt. I suppose you could do this and the long switch, it just doesn't seem as natural to me.

Anyways, I pregame all my 2 man games to *not* long switch (apologies to Nevada - I'm sure you'll get over it buddy).
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

I think someone already said that the no long switch in 2 man allows the other guy to remain focused on the teams as they wander downcourt. I suppose you could do this and the long switch, it just doesn't seem as natural to me.

Anyways, I pregame all my 2 man games to *not* long switch (apologies to Nevada - I'm sure you'll get over it buddy).
I have a partner that doesn't like to long switch, so we don't. What I was saying earlier is the place where it's really unnatural (long switching) is where the TRAIL calls the rebounding foul.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I was saying earlier is the place where it's really unnatural (long switching) is where the TRAIL calls the rebounding foul.
I can agree completely with this. Since the T is already in or near the reporting area, it is unnatural to force the switch. But again, I just don't see it as that big a deal.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I pregame all my 2 man games to *not* long switch (apologies to Nevada - I'm sure you'll get over it buddy).
I worked 2-whistle last night, R said no long switches, so we didn't. Except that after he called a PC, he went to the reporting box and forgot to come back. So we switched.

Lousy game, by the way. 40-20 at the half. 62-27 final. Winning team's starting five played about 6 minutes total. Blech.