The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Local team wins and as I'm walking off the court Brattleboro kid says to me, "Oh, by the way, you're a terrible ref." I said, "Excuse me?" He was stupid enough to say it again. "I said, you're a terrible ref." I went to the table and told the scorers to record a technical foul on 33. Then went to his coach and quickly told him what his kid said. I don't know if anything will come of it, but the coach seemed like a decent guy, so maybe the kid will sit a bit.
The kid got to you Mr. Scrooge.

Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Are they in the millitary?
I assume you're asking me if my son, Clinton, who came home today, is in the military. Well, as I told a military recruiter who called when Clinton was 18, "He's diabetic, he's Quaker, and he's gay." Does that answer your question!?
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Watched the local news last night to see if my game got a mention. It did. But part of the mention was that the Brattleboro jumper to tie it at the end of regulation was actually a 3 to win, but we only scored it as a 2 to tie. Now I have to go to the station and see if they have tape of the game. . . If it really was a 3, I'm gonna be pissed. Shot was taken from the Lead's corner (I was trail). Partner put up an arm after it went in, but never gave a touchdown signal, so I didn't give the signal either. I'm standing right next to the Brattleboro coach, who immediately says "Was it a 3? It was a 3!" After the time expired (less than a second), partner tells me he didn't get a good look at it. I told him I thought he stepped across the line, but I obviously didn't have a great look. So we gave 2. I'm gonna be ripped if we missed it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
You think so? I thought my response was actually pretty reserved. I didn't respond to him at all. But I'm not going to accept that kind of crap, regardless of the age of the kid or the game situation. Especially since he was stupid enough to say it to me twice.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

All up to the coach

Quote:
Watched the local news last night to see if my game got a mention. It did. But part of the mention was that the Brattleboro jumper to tie it at the end of regulation was actually a 3 to win, but we only scored it as a 2 to tie. Now I have to go to the station and see if they have tape of the game. . . If it really was a 3, I'm gonna be pissed. Shot was taken from the Lead's corner (I was trail). Partner put up an arm after it went in, but never gave a touchdown signal, so I didn't give the signal either. I'm standing right next to the Brattleboro coach, who immediately says "Was it a 3? It was a 3!" After the time expired (less than a second), partner tells me he didn't get a good look at it. I told him I thought he stepped across the line, but I obviously didn't have a great look. So we gave 2. I'm gonna be ripped if we missed it.

Quote:
You think so? I thought my response was actually pretty reserved. I didn't respond to him at all. But I'm not going to accept that kind of crap, regardless of the age of the kid or the game situation. Especially since he was stupid enough to say it to me twice.
I agree that if you let him get away with it now he will do it again and again. If the coach is any kind of a coach, he will also want to know because he will know that somewhere down the road it will catch up to him and his team.

I think a lot of times the kids think the game is over, there is no recourse for the official, I can do what I want. I think you did a good thing by reporting the comments.

Of course with a game that was completely full of "great sportsmanship" it does make you wonder about the coaches though.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
You think so?
Yeah I do.
Quote:
I thought my response was actually pretty reserved. I didn't respond to him at all.
You stopped to ask him to repeat it, didn't you? Instead of heading off the floor.
Quote:
But I'm not going to accept that kind of crap, regardless of the age of the kid or the game situation. Especially since he was stupid enough to say it to me twice.
The way I read it he was stupid enough to say it to you once.

Then he was :sarcasm on: polite enough :sarcasm off: to answer your question honestly.

Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You stopped to ask him to repeat it, didn't you? Instead of heading off the floor.

No, honestly, I didn't. I was heading off the floor and the kid came from outside the 3-point line to the endline to give me his evaluation. I never broke stride. Just changed direction (toward the table) after I realized he'd said what I thought he'd said.

Quote:
The way I read it he was stupid enough to say it to you once.

Then he was :sarcasm on: polite enough :sarcasm off: to answer your question honestly.
Nope. He was stupid to say it once. Twice as stupid to say it twice.

Hey, potato/potahto. I didn't think I could let it go.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

I worked 4 BV games on Monday and 2 GV games last night. Unfortunately, I was only doing the clock. I'm on "injured reserve" until 4 Jan. Screwed my knee up and could not do any tourney games. The good thing is I got paid for last night's games. The other 4 were part of our annual Christmas tourney and the officials donate their time for the games, clock, scoring, and as site managers. We use the $$$ for scholarships.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

No, honestly, I didn't.
Excuse me?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
You stopped. . .didn't you? Instead of heading off the floor.

No, honestly, I didn't.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You stopped. . .didn't you? Instead of heading off the floor.

No, honestly, I didn't.
That's clever.

But you did ask him to repeat it, didn't you?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But you did ask him to repeat it, didn't you?
Yes. Mostly b/c I really thought I must not have heard him correctly. He was so polite about it. "Oh, by the way. . ." I was not trying to bait him. And even if he hadn't repeated it, if I'd fully understood him the first time, I think I still would have reported the T. I don't think I should be expected to accept crap like that -- of a personal nature ("you're terrible") -- from some stupid punk kid just b/c he thinks the game's over and I can't do anything about it.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Are we talking about the same stupid, punk kid that made a three at the buzzer in regulation that was incorrectly called a two?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Are we talking about the same stupid, punk kid that made a three at the buzzer in regulation that was incorrectly called a two?
No, and I haven't seen the tape yet, so I'm not actually conceding that it was a 3. . .
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
No, and I haven't seen the tape yet, so I'm not actually conceding that it was a 3. . .
No worries, Chuck. I happen to agree with you that the kid's lack of respect and poor sportsmanship is clearly wrong; no matter what call you and your partner may or may not have blown.
You didn't do it on purpose. You are out there running your a$$ off and trying to do it right, and may have made a mistake.
On the other hand, he didn't try to behave correctly and just make a mistake. He tried to exhibit bad behavior.

Do let us know though about the 2 or 3 when you see the tape.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'm curious!

If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned your P as the L through up his hand to indicate it was a 3 attempt. If the ball goes in, why was it not a 3?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a previous thread, it was said the L should never signal a made 3.(3-man) So wouldn't it have been your responsibility to signal the touchdown being the T?