The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

fed rules...is there anything in the rule book/ officials manual to deal with a 'stuck' net?

other than the fact that we have always blown the whistle to untangle the net, is there anything in print?

i can think of 2 reasons NOT to untangle...#1, it has no bearing on the ball going in/out...#2, by blowing whistle, we reward the defense and give them the ability to press, etc...
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure what the books say, but I usually wait for the next dead ball unless it's a made basket to fix the net.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

The book doesn't say. There's been quite a bit of debate about it here. You might want to google a bit and see if you can find it. If you do stop the game to get the net down, you need to let subs in. Decide whether you're going to stop the game or not, and be consistent.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
No need to google. Leave the net alone. It's not going to stop the next shot from going in. If it really, really bugs you, fix it at a natural stoppage. Do not stop the game to fix it.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Chuck. We have been told not to stop game. Fix it at the next natural stopage.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I don't stop the game for stuck nets or untied shoes.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Like you say, it's not addressed in the book. In my area, everyone blows the whistle and stops the game when the net wraps.

Besides, I've had the net wrap to the point where it gets stuck on those little metal "thingies" that hold the net (yes, only a couple times). That would prevent the next shot from going in.

Z
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 08:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

The NF and Referee Magazine put out a ruling in their yearly Guidebook I believe last year that addressed this. They said that if it happens once you might stop the game. If it keeps happening, do not keep stopping the game every time it happens. If the problem is that bad, have the game management put on a new net. So basically do not make a big deal out of it.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

I disagree for two reasons:
1. MTD posted something here last season from the NFHS about how to handle the situation. It said to have someone down there on the end to fix it with a pole or something while play goes the other way, but if that wasn't possible to stop the game and fix the net.
2. 1-10-1 states that each basket shall have a net "suspended from beneath the ring." In my opinion if the net is wrapped/caught up around the ring, then the basket does not meet the specifications in the rules book and the game should be stopped in order to address the playing conditions. IOW you have an illegal basket at one end of the court.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
No need to google. Leave the net alone. It's not going to stop the next shot from going in. If it really, really bugs you, fix it at a natural stoppage. Do not stop the game to fix it.
I have seen a stuck net reject a ball from going through on more than one occaison. But, always wait for a stoppage.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

We were told in our annual interpretation meeting (IAABO) a couple of years ago not to stop the game but to fix at the next dead ball.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Interesting. In a Fed. game a great deal of emphasis is put on safety (no jewelry, no hard objects in hair no exposed hinges on braces no hard casts etc.) of the players. IMHO unitied shoes falls into this category. I agree don't take away a good scoring opportuinity but why not after a made basket or a team is walking the ball up the court blow the whistle and have the issue resolved? If you came across spilled water on the floor would you not take care of it at the most opportune moment?
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 11:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Interesting. In a Fed. game a great deal of emphasis is put on safety (no jewelry, no hard objects in hair no exposed hinges on braces no hard casts etc.) of the players. IMHO unitied shoes falls into this category. I agree don't take away a good scoring opportuinity but why not after a made basket or a team is walking the ball up the court blow the whistle and have the issue resolved? If you came across spilled water on the floor would you not take care of it at the most opportune moment?
I think the argument here would be that a stuck net is not a safety issue.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I think the argument here would be that a stuck net is not a safety issue. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not talking about stuck nets.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 11:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ah, shoe laces. Sorry about that.
I won't stop play for that, but I'll prolong a dead ball to let them tie their shoes. They don't need a dead ball to tie their shoes; as they can take care of that in about 5 seconds while their teammates cover for them.