The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I don't really need to justify what I say or why I say it to a head coach.......Sometimes I'll tell the assistant coaches your job is to keep the head coach in the box. Of course always with a smile on my face..........I always handle my little meeting in a positive none advisarial way.
Beside if I show them where the lines are many times they are more concerned about being in the box then yelling at us...

One time in a state tournament I knew we had a coach that was very vocal (had watched him for a couple of days) I told him in our little meeting that I was hard of hearing and if he was yelling at us I probably wouldn't hear him and told him if he wanted a T/O he needed to be very visible........Didn't hear a peep out of him the entire game...........So was I wrong...........Don't think so.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 01:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
I don't really need to justify what I say or why I say it to a head coach.......Sometimes I'll tell the assistant coaches your job is to keep the head coach in the box. Of course always with a smile on my face..........I always handle my little meeting in a positive none advisarial way.
Beside if I show them where the lines are many times they are more concerned about being in the box then yelling at us...

One time in a state tournament I knew we had a coach that was very vocal (had watched him for a couple of days) I told him in our little meeting that I was hard of hearing and if he was yelling at us I probably wouldn't hear him and told him if he wanted a T/O he needed to be very visible........Didn't hear a peep out of him the entire game...........So was I wrong...........Don't think so.
I never said you had to justify anything. I just know it's not my style. I say hi, good luck, ask the required apparel/sportsmanship questions, and move on.

Happy holidays.

--Rich
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Because it's emphasized in our state (Ron also works in Washington). If you don't mention it, many coaches might think you don't care what they do or how far they roam (which with some officials is correct). By mentioning it, you are telling them that you are aware of it and that you will be watching for it. That's good preventative officiating.

Z
No it is not. Why not just enforce the rule? Mentioning it does nothing but raise undo attention to something that you might not be paying that close attention to. To me it is just like saying "We will address hand checking and play the game with your feet and not your hands." Now you put everyone on notice and when you do not call it as they see it, you just opened yourself up for another issue they can complain about.

Peace
Like I said before, it's emphasized in our state. From personal experience, it has become obvious to me that many coaches will abuse the coaching box if they think that the crew is unaware of it. Some officials are only able to ref what happens between the endlines and sidelines. Others are able to also be aware of clocks, where the coaches are and all other aspects of officiating. The old statement of "I don't care where the coaches are so long as they aren't yelling at me" just doesn't fly in this state. IMHO, around here it's just used by officials who haven't yet learned how to stay aware of the coaching box during the game. When the coaches know that you are "coaching box aware" even before the game starts, it curbs their roaming out of the box.

In this state, you are expected to officiate the coaches box and watch it closely. You aren't raising undo attention to something that you might not be paying that close attention to because you are expected to pay very close attention to it.

Z
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 09:16am
Huck Finn

My question is, are you required to say this to the coach before the game? If not, it really isn't needed since there are POEs every year. We aren't going to mention all the POEs before a game so why talk about the box?

Ron, I wouldn't give the assistant the time of day to tell them what their job is. You just opened up dialogue with the assistant coach. I wouldn't do that. Also, the best coaches that I've come across don't want cute/smart remarks. They want someone that is fair, not someone with funny one-liners. Fair to the point where they know you will T them up if they deserve it.

JMHO
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
My question is, are you required to say this to the coach before the game? If not, it really isn't needed since there are POEs every year. We aren't going to mention all the POEs before a game so why talk about the box?

Ron, I wouldn't give the assistant the time of day to tell them what their job is. You just opened up dialogue with the assistant coach. I wouldn't do that. Also, the best coaches that I've come across don't want cute/smart remarks. They want someone that is fair, not someone with funny one-liners. Fair to the point where they know you will T them up if they deserve it.

JMHO
No, we aren't required to say anything to the coach about the box. It's just that coaching box management is hugely stressed in this state and mentioning it in the pregame conference usually helps out. That's all. Don't do it if you don't like it. It works for me and apparently for Ron too.

I always go shake hands with the assistant coaches before the game and greet them with a smile. They are people too.

Z
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 12:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:

JMHO
No, we aren't required to say anything to the coach about the box. It's just that coaching box management is hugely stressed in this state and mentioning it in the pregame conference usually helps out. That's all. Don't do it if you don't like it. It works for me and apparently for Ron too.

I always go shake hands with the assistant coaches before the game and greet them with a smile. They are people too.

Z
Now that's just plain heresy.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 06:26am
Huck Finn

Quote:
[B

Z [/B]
Where did I say I wouldn't shake their hands or greet them with a smile? What I said I won't do is open up dialogue with them and tell them what their job is for the game.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

I introduce myself, shake hands and say, "Good luck." Nuff said. If they have questions, they know where to find me.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
[B

Z
Where did I say I wouldn't shake their hands or greet them with a smile? What I said I won't do is open up dialogue with them and tell them what their job is for the game. [/B]
I guess I just don't understand what you mean when you say you won't open a dialogue with an assistant coach. Not only do I shake hands with them, but I introduce myself with a smile. Is that opening a dialogue? Also, if they have legitimate questions during a game and I have time, I'll answer them. I won't allow them to officiate or question calls, but I'll certainly address a nice question from an assistant coach if it's possible during the game.

Z
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

When meeting with the coaches, we need to be pleasant and brief. I can't see any reason for more than a quick "hi" and/or "good luck". It doesn't take a big smile and a conversation to give the impression that you are professional and approachable.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 06:52am
Huck Finn

Quote:
[i]
I guess I just don't understand what you mean when you say you won't open a dialogue with an assistant coach. Not only do I shake hands with them, but I introduce myself with a smile. Is that opening a dialogue? Also, if they have legitimate questions during a game and I have time, I'll answer them. I won't allow them to officiate or question calls, but I'll certainly address a nice question from an assistant coach if it's possible during the game.

Z [/B]
When I say open dialogue with an assistant I mean tell him what his job is or something more than a friendly greeting. If an assistant coach has a question he can ask the head coach to ask me. I guess if an assistant asks me where the ball is going to be put into play I will answer so I do answer their questions. And, wait ...... yep, that is about it! This is HS games. In college games I will talk to assistants more because they can help you out a lot more. The thing is during a college game they are often busy doing the job of an assistant so they don't have time to ask the officials a lot of questions. Of course all of this is flexible depending a lot of things but generally I don't say much to assistants during a game. I do greet them with a handshake and a smile. I don't always introduce myself because some of them already know my name. Heck, you probably know my name. I'm one of the most famous Toms ever !
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

That's good one famous Tom!
I also believe in introducing myself to the asst. coaches. For someday they will be a head coach at that school or another one and I want to have cordial relations with them. Treating people with respect never hurts.