Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
I say : "Hello Coach, My name is Ron, Here's your coaching box, (expecially for the visiting Team), and let me know right away if you want a 30 second timeout so we can let the other team know right away. Have fun tonight!"
Why so concerned about the coaching box? The lines are there and they know what the lines are for.
Because it's emphasized in our state (Ron also works in Washington). If you don't mention it, many coaches might think you don't care what they do or how far they roam (which with some officials is correct). By mentioning it, you are telling them that you are aware of it and that you will be watching for it. That's good preventative officiating.

Z
Nope, I don't see it that way.

I see it as telling a coach that you are going to be more worried about the coaching box than the rest of the rules in the book.

Do you tell the players about hacking, pushing, blocking, etc? Does that mean you aren't watching for it?

If the coach is out of the box, give a quiet word to get him back in the box. Then take care of business, if necessary.

I know that some states have points of emphasis, but I don't feel it's necessary for coaches to be told about them before each game.

In the areas I lived, saying something like this before a game would paint you as being over-officious and having your mind and your eyes off the court watching for a coach having his toe out of the box.

--Rich