The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 12:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
12:30--Go to the table and check the book.

12:00-10:00--Captains and coaches meeting (Sportsmanship talk) immediately after checking the book.

In Illinois we have to have the meeting with the coaches and players together. This is not an option. This is what our state wants us to do. And he Head Coaches have to be involved, not the assistants. If the Head Coaches are not present, we can write them up.

Peace
When I work in Illinois, I still do the meeting first. I cover the required questions with the coaches (equipment and sportsmanship) and then they are free to go if they want to. The rest of the meeting takes 30 seconds anyway, so they usually stay. Then I go to the book. Yesterday we were working a tournament and teams warmed up on another court and there was only 10 minutes put on the clock, so I grabbed the book first THEN did the captains meeting at about 6:00.

I'm pretty flexible about it, but I don't think I'd ever throw out an administrative technical on the book unless someone was being a jerk about not getting the book done. It would simply be an incredibly bad way to start a game.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Book at 11, captains at 6, coaches at 2.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
So do others find doing coaches at 2 awkward? Around here, by then they are looking to get their players into the huddle, rounding up last minute necessities, such as water cups or missing jerseys, talking to assistants about specific plays or whatever. It seems much smoother to do it at 9 or 10.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 07:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'm pretty flexible about it, but I don't think I'd ever throw out an administrative technical on the book unless someone was being a jerk about not getting the book done. It would simply be an incredibly bad way to start a game.
I do not really have a problem with book Ts (unless they just totally screw up a number or the starters). When I go to the table I just make sure everything has been submitted, not necessarily in the book. I might not sign it until everything is put in the book, which happens after the meeting anyway. I just make sure they have the proper number of players and the 5 starters.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 07:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
So do others find doing coaches at 2 awkward? Around here, by then they are looking to get their players into the huddle, rounding up last minute necessities, such as water cups or missing jerseys, talking to assistants about specific plays or whatever. It seems much smoother to do it at 9 or 10.
I do not know of anyone that does that anymore. We have the one meeting and we are done.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's the entire point of doing it at 2, no time for needless chit-chat.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised nobody has quoted the NFHS Officials Manual yet.

NFHS OM Pg. 89

OFFICIALS' PREGAME PROTOCOL

Guidelines for Two Conferences
0:15:00
Officials enter court area and go directly to positions

0:12:00
At Center Court area...introductions of team captains.

0:10:00
Referee go to score table and check books.

0:01:30
Officials go to area of score table and greet head coaches.

The guidelines go into more detail than I listed...but, that's basically it.
And, that's basically what we do around here. (Eastern WA)

BTW, these are "guidelines"...so do what your association or area officials agree on if you don't like these guidelines.

Also, for those of you who want just a single conference...
that is listed on pg. 90 NFHS Officials Manual
0:15:00...enter court
0:12:00...check books
0:10:00...Greet coaches and captains

[Edited by RookieDude on Dec 24th, 2004 at 09:10 PM]
Richland, WA
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
EXACTLY! Here, we grab the captains at 3 or 2+1/2, say a few things about sportsmanship and having fun, which they don't care to listen to anyway, then go over to greet the coaches. When the horn sounds at one minute all of their players come running over to the bench and they have better things to do than ask us silly questions.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Quote:
EXACTLY! Here, we grab the captains at 3 or 2+1/2, say a few things about sportsmanship and having fun, which they don't care to listen to anyway, then go over to greet the coaches. When the horn sounds at one minute all of their players come running over to the bench and they have better things to do than ask us silly questions.
My experience has been that below three minutes, coaches aren't even available at all. We're supposed to be getting both coaches together on the X at 2 minutes. It just doesn't work. I'm not interested in needless chit-chat, either. But I'm not even getting in the required "chit" because that timing doesnt work.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Washington,

On floor at 15:00
Captians at 12:00
To book right after Captians meeting
coaches at 1:45 - 2:00

We sign the book at the 10:00 mark.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Quote:
My experience has been that below three minutes, coaches aren't even available at all. We're supposed to be getting both coaches together on the X at 2 minutes. It just doesn't work. I'm not interested in needless chit-chat, either. But I'm not even getting in the required "chit" because that timing doesnt work.
Many games the coaches are already together. If not we go to the visiting coach first rating card with stamp, attire, sportsmanship, box, good luck. Same with home coach. Takes about 30 seconds total. I rarely have a problem. We start over at about 2:10.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

In Ohio here is what I've seen......

Capts at 12:00
R - Book right after
Coaches at 2:00 (Greet, not much discussed as far as sportsmanship etc)

Our Capt meetings are usually limited to...

Questions? No?
Speaking Capts? (If necessary)
Partner you have anything? No? (he better not)
Everyone have a great game.

They arent listening anyway.