The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Thumbs down

I was on my way down the court when the play is right behind me so I decide to run "backwards" :x well needless to say I lost balence and fell infront of everyone. 3rd quater 1:44. When i fell, i put my hands out and now i cant move my wrist. Hope they're not broken, I will maybee go to the doctor tommrow and will put an update..

For got to say, after it happen, when i passed the coaches bench he goes "Thats good for you, thats what you get for trying to cheat" I halled off, and nocked the crap out of him........ Nah, thats what i wanted to do tho. Should I have T'd him? How can I cheat, when i know neither team.. Some coaches

[Edited by brandan89 on Dec 10th, 2004 at 10:43 PM]
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Had one last year where I busting my butt trying to beat a fast break. The kid unexpectly swings wide and clips me and I go skidding into the fence at the end of the court. On the way past, I hear the other coach laughing and telling me that he's pretty sure the kid did it on purpose and I should throw him out

Hope everything turns out okay with the wrist.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Unhappy

The exact same thing happened to me. Now, I ended up with a fractured navicular bone and was in a cast for six weeks, followed by a month of being in a splint. Get to the doctor ASAP - the sooner the better.

As for the coach, you should have definately assesed the technical foul penalty. He deliberately made a direct attack on your integrity - I for one wouldn't tolerate it. No good to think about the "shoulda, coulda, wouldas," but just for next time.

I hope your wrist doesn't end up broken!
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
I will first thing in the morning.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I had the same thing happen, on a tile floor I took a fall and braced myself with my hand. I think the end diagnoses was a sprain, but I had to wear some kind of brace for like a month.

If you're going to the doctor tomorrow, make sure that you ice it down plenty tonight.

And you should've tossed the coach for that comment.

5 More
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 10:52pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
I will first thing in the morning.
Good luck with that brandan!
While you are healing think about looking over your shoulder on your way down the court.
Running backwards is not stylish. It may be athletic, but it is not stylish. [Check out any game on TV for verification.]
mick

Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89

For got to say, after it happen, when i passed the coaches bench he goes "Thats good for you, thats what you get for trying to cheat" I halled off, and nocked the crap out of him........ Nah, thats what i wanted to do tho. Should I have T'd him? How can I cheat, when i know neither team.. Some coaches

[Edited by brandan89 on Dec 10th, 2004 at 10:43 PM]
This would depend on the demeanor and tone of voice of the coach, your rapport with him previous to this, and what you judged his intent was. Only you know the answer to these. Honestly, I thought he was joking by saying you were "cheating" and deserved to fall. By cheating I thought he meant "backpedalling instead of running forward faster to beat the players." (i.e. being lazy). Maybe pulling your chain, not realizing you were really hurting.

You added the part about "knocking the crap out of him," so I guess he was NOT joking. To T or not to T would still be your decision, but sounds deserving here. Hope you heal up OK. And by the way, coaches and fans often think officials are one sided (against them). They don't believe we don't care who wins and you can't convince them of this.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just a thought, but perhaps the coach was referring to running backwards when he said, "trying to cheat." "Cheat" is in "shortcut" rather than an integrity issue. That was my first thought when I read the comments.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

You actually got off lucky. I know an official that back peddled at a camp and got clipped by a player from the next court.

The first thing to hit the floor was the back of his head, he got a skull fracture and was in intensive care for several days and in the hospital for a couple of weeks. It was over 2 months before he got the okay to get back on the court.

Back peddling is a bad thing to do.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 01:51am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
As for the coach, you should have definately assesed the technical foul penalty. He deliberately made a direct attack on your integrity - I for one wouldn't tolerate it. No good to think about the "shoulda, coulda, wouldas," but just for next time.
Bingo! TXMATTHEW05 hit it right on the button. Automatic, no questions asked, no warnings given. Whack! Take a seat coach for the rest of the game.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

To me it sounded like he was criticizing you for backpedalling and pulling your chain. But if he clearly wasn't you gotta call at least the T here, maybe toss him for it.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Like my mother always said, "don't play ball in the house." And, "don't run down the basketball court backwards." Tough lesson...
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 09:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Only deep officials in the xFL should backpeddle.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 01:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by jarecker1
Like my mother always said, "don't play ball in the house." And, "don't run down the basketball court backwards." Tough lesson...
Never backpeddle -- besides looking dangerous, it also looks terrible. Run looking over your inside shoulder.

I wouldn't have even acknowledged the coach.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Opening tip yesterday, I'm U1 on a 2 man crew. The play goes to my right so I start running the sideline looking over my left shoulder. Next thing I know I'm picking up a player from the previous game who was walking along the side line. Neither one of us knew what hit us. She was OK and fortunately for me everyone was watching game so my pride stayed in tact. Had I been back peddling this could have been bad as I wouldn't have been able to catch myself.