Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Well at the pre-game coaches conference, for the V game, the coach looked a little shaken. He said he had coached since 1962...and had NEVER been ejected!
I asked him if he was at the JV bench...and he said no, he was just watching the game and told the JV official that something was not a correctable error...he was very surprised that the JV official ejected him for that.
I guess the JV official might have had a quick trigger tonight...or we haven't heard the whole story.
I'd be willing to bet (if I wasn't a Quaker) a fair amount of money that you haven't heard the whole story. He may very well have "only made the comment" but he might have made it 37 times, at full cox volume while he was running down the stands onto the floor, and ended up screaming it into the face of the referee, so close that the ref could count the fillings in his back teeth. He probably didn't tell you that part, did he?
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'd be willing to bet (if I wasn't a Quaker). . .
Mr Grammar Guy might have something to say about this, but correcting Juulie's grammar would have to be sacrilege!!
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

Z, are you saying you did 3-man for the first half of a JV game and didn't finish the game that way?
Yep, we cleared it with both JV coaches and they were all for it. It's been approved by our association's board of directors as a way to get the JV officals some 3-person experience. Impossible to do the entire JV game as 3-person because we usually start our varsity pregame conference about the time the 4th quarter of the JV game starts.

Z
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet (if I wasn't a Quaker). . .
Mr Grammar Guy might have something to say about this, but correcting Juulie's grammar would have to be sacrilege!!
What Mr. Grammar Guy doesn't like Quakers?!?!
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RookieDude

Z,
I guess you missed the sarcasm. [QUOTE]

RookieDude,
As Forrest Gump says, "I'm not a smart man."

Z

Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The reply to the coach, if any explanation is necessary is, "If you really want that contact called, we'll be shooting fouls all night at both ends of the court." If he insists that's waht he wants, you call the other coach over and say, "It appears that both of you feel we need to call the game tighter. So we will, but it's gonna be a long evening." And then proceed to call absolutely everything until they beg for mercy. You can't use this in JV or varsity. But you won't need to. 7th or 8th grade is a great place for it.

If you feel this procedure isn't appropriate, try, "Coach, your girls are doing an excellent job of playing through that type of thing. If we call it we're going to be taking away some of your shots. Is that what you want?" You can't get away with this to the losing team in a 40 point gaem, but in that sitch maybe you should be calling more!
Sorry but I think this is way too much conversation for an official to have with a coach especially if both of them are less experienced with their craft. You may be better served if you stick to short and direct responses.

There is no need to be sacarstic or condesending, its your show so act like you have been there before.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:
The reply to the coach, if any explanation is necessary is, "If you really want that contact called, we'll be shooting fouls all night at both ends of the court." If he insists that's waht he wants, you call the other coach over and say, "It appears that both of you feel we need to call the game tighter. So we will, but it's gonna be a long evening." And then proceed to call absolutely everything until they beg for mercy. You can't use this in JV or varsity. But you won't need to. 7th or 8th grade is a great place for it.

If you feel this procedure isn't appropriate, try, "Coach, your girls are doing an excellent job of playing through that type of thing. If we call it we're going to be taking away some of your shots. Is that what you want?" You can't get away with this to the losing team in a 40 point gaem, but in that sitch maybe you should be calling more!
Sorry but I think this is way too much conversation for an official to have with a coach especially if both of them are less experienced with their craft. You may be better served if you stick to short and direct responses.

There is no need to be sacarstic or condesending, its your show so act like you have been there before.
I agree.

IMO this falls into the "OK coach, I hear ya." category.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:

I agree.

IMO this falls into the "OK coach, I hear ya." category.
I don't say that much usually, but if there's a break where I can, or if the coach uses a time-out to discuss the situation with me, I'll try to point out something like this. I certainly never say this in a sarcastic or condescending way.

Once it was a coach I knew fairly well, and it was just a teachable moment. Another time both coaches really were chipping and it seemed so silly. It has worked for me a time or two, is what I'm saying.