The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

This year, I am accepting games only between teams of transgendered post-operative hermaphrodites.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

How can they require officials to do what they would not want to do?

Peace
The leagues will dictate, "if you want to work 10 boys games, you also must work 10 girls games." A take it or leave it package. Your choice will be to work both or none.
Actually Stan the way it works is that the leagues will continue to schedule through assignors. It will be the assignors who determine who gets what games. Even if you are lucky enough to get a full season schedule in advance you still have the opportunity to give back any dates that conflict with your desired OPEN dates.

After the politics of the vets getting the choice assignments, the rest of us will get offered games as they become available. The more flexible you are with your assignor, the higher standing you may gain; thus in the long run you will get your choice assignments such as all Varsity or all Boys', etc.

Now....the MHSAA could put a requirement for tournament assignments qualifying that an official have 5 boys/5 girls to further augment the current 10 games of Varsity eligibility.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
This year, I am accepting games only between teams of transgendered post-operative hermaphrodites.
What, no more blonde transgendered post-operative himaphrodites?
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Not sure the law can do anything about this.

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
Isn't this what the civil rights laws are designed, in part, to address? An owner who ran a small diner in the South in the 1950s may not have been either willing or comfortable serving non-Whites, but they were made to do so. Clearly, civil rights laws have infringed on individual, not just governmental, "rights." Over time, I think the "laws" have helped to bring about a changed -- albeit far from perfect -- attitude. You say that you don't "like" girls basketball? Perhaps that attitude might change, over time....
It is different to deny someone an opportunity to requiring someone to work a game they do not want to. You might get some officials quit or decide to work more college ball. I guess you could put in all these requirements, but there are ways around this. I know there is a shortage around the country, why give officials another reason to stop working all together?

Peace
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Actually Stan the way it works is that the leagues will continue to schedule through assignors. It will be the assignors who determine who gets what games.
The assignors work for the leagues. If the leagues tell the assignors that they want the best officials working both boys and girls games, the assignors will make it happen. And it will happen because the parents of girls basketball players rightfully will complain loudly (to the coaches, ADs, principals and school boards, if necessary) if their children get stuck with lousy officials while the boys get the good ones.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

How can they require officials to do what they would not want to do?

Peace
The leagues will dictate, "if you want to work 10 boys games, you also must work 10 girls games." A take it or leave it package. Your choice will be to work both or none.
stan-MI,
So tell me what you anticipate given a fixed number of officials, if an excellent official now works 26 boys games will he be expected to work 26 girls' games, or will he be asked to work 13 games each?
mick
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:01pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

Now....the MHSAA could put a requirement for tournament assignments qualifying that an official have 5 boys/5 girls to further augment the current 10 games of Varsity eligibility.
*Note: There is no 10 game requirement in effect for the U.P.
mick
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The assignors work for the leagues. If the leagues tell the assignors that they want the best officials working both boys and girls games, the assignors will make it happen. And it will happen because the parents of girls basketball players rightfully will complain loudly (to the coaches, ADs, principals and school boards, if necessary) if their children get stuck with lousy officials while the boys get the good ones.
You cannot make someone work a type of ball they do not want to work. I do not care how much these individuals complain. I do know of many situations where boy's officials do not call the game the same as the "normal" Girl's officials do and the coaches get really upset. It is a different game to call a game where kids are playing above the rim and kind of physical, to a game where if a girl is touched in the post the coaches are livid because there is not a foul call. One of the reasons I do not call girl's games is because I get much more grief because I do not call the touch fouls that are expected on that side of the game.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

mick
Mick,

For tournament assignments the MHSAA waives the 10 V games requirement?
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You cannot make someone work a type of ball they do not want to work.

Then you might not work at all.

I do know of many situations where boy's officials do not call the game the same as the "normal" Girl's officials do and the coaches get really upset. It is a different game to call a game where kids are playing above the rim and kind of physical, to a game where if a girl is touched in the post the coaches are livid because there is not a foul call. One of the reasons I do not call girl's games is because I get much more grief because I do not call the touch fouls that are expected on that side of the game.
I agree with you completely. I don't think it will be a good situation, but it's likely to happen.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Quote:
You cannot make someone work a type of ball they do not want to work.

Then you might not work at all.

I do know of many situations where boy's officials do not call the game the same as the "normal" Girl's officials do and the coaches get really upset. It is a different game to call a game where kids are playing above the rim and kind of physical, to a game where if a girl is touched in the post the coaches are livid because there is not a foul call. One of the reasons I do not call girl's games is because I get much more grief because I do not call the touch fouls that are expected on that side of the game.
I agree with you completely. I don't think it will be a good situation, but it's likely to happen.
If you agree, what makes you think that we are the only two that have this opinion? I am sure someone that matters (assignors, ADs, Principals or fans) are not going to like officials working both sides.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So tell me what you anticipate given a fixed number of officials, if an excellent official now works 26 boys games will he be expected to work 26 girls' games, or will he be asked to work 13 games each?
mick
My guess is that most officials will be asked to work 13 of each. Again, exceptions will be made for the "superstars" who will get to work mostly boys games, meaning that the girls will get stuck with less able officials.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you agree, what makes you think that we are the only two that have this opinion? I am sure someone that matters (assignors, ADs, Principals or fans) are not going to like officials working both sides.

Peace
The assignors will agree with you and I. So will some ADs. But the ADs and principals will do what's politically correct because they and the parents of girls basketball players don't understand (or refuse to admit, or don't care) that boys and girls play different games.

Right now, with separate seasons, most Michigan officials work both boys and girls basketball. Because there's no overlap, you can adjust your officiating - the degree of contact you can tolerate - pretty easily. As a result, both boys and girls are used to seeing high-caliber officials.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The assignors will agree with you and I. So will some ADs. But the ADs and principals will do what's politically correct because they and the parents of girls basketball players don't understand (or refuse to admit, or don't care) that boys and girls play different games.

Right now, with separate seasons, most Michigan officials work both boys and girls basketball. Because there's no overlap, you can adjust your officiating - the degree of contact you can tolerate - pretty easily. As a result, both boys and girls are used to seeing high-caliber officials.
I do not consider myself a high-caliber official. That is for other people to decide. But I am considered to be a Boy's Official. I do not get assigned girls games. And those that ask me to, ask me to work games that first week of the basketball season when the Boy's are not yet allowed to be playing games yet. If I lived in Michigan I would not have a lot of problem working Girls games in the fall. But that would change if I had a choice in the winter. Do not be surprised if officials choose up sides.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

mick
Mick,

For tournament assignments the MHSAA waives the 10 V games requirement?
YU.P., ...and rules meeting requirements for officials.
mick