The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I had a situation the other night where a player attempted a dunk during warmups. My partner was at the table. I looked over at the visiting team as saw the guy on his way down for the dunk, he missed the attempted dunk and pulled down on the rim. Everyone in the gym saw it and laughed because he missed. He came to me and I told him nice try, but you missed it. Too bad we will have to start off with a "T"! Anybody else had this happen?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 11:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Yes. It is not that unusual. Coaches do not know the rules or do not tell their kids the rules so it happens rather often. I at least have this happen once a year where it is obvious to everyone. I there are a couple of times that if I wanted to be really technical, I could have it a few more times.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I had a situation the other night where a player attempted a dunk during warmups. My partner was at the table. I looked over at the visiting team as saw the guy on his way down for the dunk, he missed the attempted dunk and pulled down on the rim. Everyone in the gym saw it and laughed because he missed. He came to me and I told him nice try, but you missed it. Too bad we will have to start off with a "T"! Anybody else had this happen?
Yeah - I had this happen in a 3rd grade girls game.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

And to add insult to injury, it's not only a direct T on the player, but an indirect T on the head coach as well, so he loses his rights to the coaching box & must sit the entire game.

If the dunking player also hangs on the rim, that's another direct T on the player (he's now disqualified) and a second indirect T on the coach.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
And to add insult to injury, it's not only a direct T on the player, but an indirect T on the head coach as well, so he loses his rights to the coaching box & must sit the entire game.

If the dunking player also hangs on the rim, that's another direct T on the player (he's now disqualified) and a second indirect T on the coach.
Tim,

Please tell me that you would not call 2 technicals in that situation and disqualify the player for the entire game for one pregame dunk. You are kidding right?

Z
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

uh coach...you are going to have to sit tonight

Had it in Soph Tourney last year...B1 went up and dunked during layup drill before game...partner called "T" then we told the player it might be a good idea to go tell the coach why he was going to have to sit on the bench for the entire game.

We did go tell coach and informed him of the player's number so he could deal directly with the player.

Started with 2-FTs and ball out opposite table...PA announcer was nice and let everyone in gym know that in 25-years of announcing this was a first for him.

Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Hmmm, I didnt think about the coach box thing and the coach required to sit. YESH!
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor

Tim,

Please tell me that you would not call 2 technicals in that situation and disqualify the player for the entire game for one pregame dunk. You are kidding right?

Z
Didn't say I would, only that's what the rule is...

It's been a test question in the past & probably will be again in the future as FED seems to like to recycle them.

Unless there were extenuating circumstances (like a really bad attitude on the part of the player), I'd just assess the T for the pregame dunk (after all, he only grabbed the rim to keep from squashing his 5'2" teammate getting in position for the rebound), then remind the head coach he also now has an indirect T and has to sit the entire game. The a$$ chewing the kid will probably get from the coach as a result will more than likely curb any future exhuberant displays of prowess, shall we say.......
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I had a game about eight years ago where I think the kids got their coach tossed on purpose. Three different players dunked in about 5 seconds as we were standing in front of the table getting the coaches together. I think the coach knew something was up. I heard the entire team refused to play for him later that season and he was replaced. He came back the following year. I would have liked to be a fly on that locker room wall!
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
I had a game about eight years ago where I think the kids got their coach tossed on purpose. Three different players dunked in about 5 seconds as we were standing in front of the table getting the coaches together. I think the coach knew something was up. I heard the entire team refused to play for him later that season and he was replaced. He came back the following year. I would have liked to be a fly on that locker room wall!
I thought this was an urban legend as I have heard this story before on a couple of occaisons. You must be famous for it by now!
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

10-3-4 Penalty, 10.3.4 Situation C, page 73 technical foul penalty summary in the Rules Book, and pages 55 + 77 in the Simplified and Illustrated book detail the pregame dunk administration quite nicely.