The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

start of second half, reds ball. reds coach ask me if i had to give a directional signal at the start of the half. my responce was i would have to announce red ball before i put it in play in which i did loud and clear. 3 of reds player go down to whites basket as though it would be whites ball.the two other of reds player inbound the ball gaurded by two white player, the three other white player are down gaurding red under thier own basket, well you can guess what happened red scores an uncontested basket. did i blow this one and give red a unfair advantage. i normally make it very clear to both teams at half whos ball it is and with a directional signal. whats the proper mechanic at half?

Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

What level of play? I suspect it is lower level (middle school, junior high)

Regardless of the level, I would ask the coach, "Are you asking me to do an unsporting action?" or "What kind of sportsmanship are you displaying??" or the other classic that we have seen in earlier threads... "Coach, lets go over and see if White's coach wants to agree to this."

If I do not feel like pointing out the idiocy of the coach wanting to "use" me in an unsporting act, I will respond with a firm "NO!"
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I would say, "I'm going to state the color and point direction, Coach."
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Give a directional.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

happens to me

There's a high school coach in our area that uses this play every game...some officials agree, others don't.

Football teams often tell officials before a game if they have a trick play in store-this is pretty similar. I will say, "white ball," point for a second, and the rest is up to the players.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
When this happens in my game, I just do what I would have done anyway. I'm amazed at how confused people can get, even though the rule is the same, game after game after game. How hard can it be?

Funny thing is, I saw this play work tonight in the middle of the third quarter. Coming out of a time out. Now that's really pathetic.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 03:29am
M.A.S.H.

If I'm the R, once I get on the court and my partner goes and gets me the ball with about a minute left I stand OOB with the ball on left or right hip, depending on which way we are going. If a team comes out before the final horn I point and tell them "white ball" (or whatever), the other team comes out I point and say white ball. If white is OOB ready to go, I check with my partner to make sure he's ready to rock n' roll, then I blow my whistle and the second half is underway.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

We have a coach here who likes to run a "mis-direction" play and has asked that we not tip it. Even though the lead is always set up at the right basket and the Ref is inbounding the ball at mid court who says the color, points to the basket and is outside the thrower, amazingly it will on an occasion still work.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

i cant find my officials manuel, is there a specific mechanic that we are required to use, i dont want to have to tell the coach its at my discretion or my own judgement if i should use a directional signal with color every time. to make it alittle clearer of what happened the coach did ask if i had to use a directional signal. i told him no but i would have to announce the color of the inbounding team. i did make it a very load attempt to make sure everyone in the building would know whos ball it was. its one of those thing that just didnt feel right and unfortuntly i had not known if there was a specific mechanic i had to use? other than not giving directional my partner and i used the proper mechanics. he slid down to almost to center line i gave him a signal i would drop back to cover back court coverage and my side line.

[Edited by roadking on Dec 4th, 2004 at 12:55 PM]
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Coach, thanks for the heads up. I won't do anything to hinder your play. Nor will I do anything to help your play. I'll call out the color and point the direction just like I always do.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 06:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I have an NF 2001-2003 Official's Manual. Article 217 on page 29 says, "The alternating-possession throw-in to start the second, third and fourth quarters shall be administered by the Referee at the division line opposite the table. Indicate color and direction, designate the throw-in spot to alert players that play is about to begin,......".

Seems pretty clear to me.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

thanks!! im glad the play had no outcome on the game.

[Edited by roadking on Dec 5th, 2004 at 03:18 PM]
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 09:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Coach, thanks for the heads up. I won't do anything to hinder your play. Nor will I do anything to help your play. I'll call out the color and point the direction just like I always do.
Yup. I'm certainly not going to be involved in anything like this.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

I have this play run on me.

It has worked a couple of times the team/coach will tell you what they are doing. The reason why ...all of the players are lining up at the wrong end. They dont want us making a big scene and try and move the players to the other end or loudly point out they are going the wrong way. I have pointed the right way, and said color. Color does not matter much because the right team has it. I point look at my partner and the ball come in... and someone cuts down the floor for an easy layup because both teams are at the wrong end of the court...

The team has told me they did not need help for going the wrong way... so we know there wont be problems at wrong basket. I dont need to correct the kids...

Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

It would be funny to see this back fire. Team A lines up on the wrong side of the court (A's backcourt). A1 forgets what they were doing and receives the pass in his frontcourt and proceeds to the side that his teammates are lined up in: Backcourt Violation. Or he receives it in his backcourt and I start my ten second count.