The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I shouldn't have to ask this, but.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16742-i-shouldnt-have-ask-but.html)

Adam Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:24pm

Girls Soph the other night. Held ball (quit laughing) shortly into the fourth quarter. We'd given the ball to white at the quarter, but the arrow still said white. After a quick conference with my partner, I remembered we'd had a held ball already in that quarter, so decided the arrow was correct.
V coach doesn't agree and starts to argue, to no avail. After W1 had thrown the ball into W2 in their backcourt (with no pressure), I hear the horn and look up to see V coach standing by the bench; as if he wanted to request a correctable error.
Knowing it wasn't correctable, I ignored the horn and told the girls to play on.
Should I have stopped play to go through the motions of addressing the coach's "correctable error?"

Adam

rainmaker Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Girls Soph the other night. Held ball (quit laughing) shortly into the fourth quarter. We'd given the ball to white at the quarter, but the arrow still said white. After a quick conference with my partner, I remembered we'd had a held ball already in that quarter, so decided the arrow was correct.
V coach doesn't agree and starts to argue, to no avail. After W1 had thrown the ball into W2 in their backcourt (with no pressure), I hear the horn and look up to see V coach standing by the bench; as if he wanted to request a correctable error.
Knowing it wasn't correctable, I ignored the horn and told the girls to play on.
Should I have stopped play to go through the motions of addressing the coach's "correctable error?"

Adam

If he'd been a real jerk about stuff the whole game, I'd stop the game, listen to him, tell him it's not correctable, and charge him the time-out.
If he'd been mostly okay, but kind of a jerk about this one thing, I'd make the girls play on, as you did.
If he's been basically good to work with, and was obviously new and just didn't know the rules, I'd explain one more time, and then add, "if you still need to talk more, we can do that after the game."

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:38pm

Tell the coach you're sure of the arrow, but just to be fair, you'll give him the next two out of three.

You'd be surprised how many coaches fall for this - or maybe you wouldn't be surprised. :)

DownTownTonyBrown Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:42pm

check the book

Score keepers should be keeping track in their score books... not just with the arrow.

I've had confusion before (imagine that) with the arrow deal, and went to the scorekeepers only to have them agree that the arrow had not been changed but according to their record keeping it was ...'s ball.

blindzebra Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:

Adam

IMO

Why is it not a correctable error? Sounds to me that the error was discovered before the next live ball became dead. I would have addressed his request as the table indicated by sounding the horn, and then charged him with a time out after you proved your decision.

2-10-1 and not a single mention of arrow mistakes.;)

thumpferee Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Quote:

Adam

IMO

Why is it not a correctable error? Sounds to me that the error was discovered before the next live ball became dead. I would have addressed his request as the table indicated by sounding the horn, and then charged him with a time out after you proved your decision.

I just deleted my post. The arrow is not a correctable error situation.

tjones1 Thu Dec 02, 2004 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Tell the coach you're sure of the arrow, but just to be fair, you'll give him the next two out of three.

You'd be surprised how many coaches fall for this - or maybe you wouldn't be surprised. :)

Classic! I'll remember this one!

Adam Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:16pm

I gotta say, I'm suprised the "two-outta-three" comment ever works. If I were a coach, I'd get pissed off about it; as I'd think the official was being condescending. I suppose if a coach had been particularly obstinant the entire game, I might be able to use it. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:31pm

Quote:

I gotta say, I'm suprised the "two-outta-three" comment ever works. If I were a coach, I'd get pissed off about it; as I'd think the official was being condescending. I suppose if a coach had been particularly obstinant the entire game, I might be able to use it. I just can't bring myself to do it.

You are giving coaches way too much credit. They aren't smart.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 03, 2004 06:44am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Quote:

Adam

IMO

I just deleted my post. The arrow is not a correctable error situation.

Try looking at 5-8-4. The coach does have a right to go to the table and request a time-out for an alternating-possession mistake. It is listed there along with the 2-10 situations.
You should have stopped the game when the scorer's signal (the horn) sounded and gone over to hear the coach's appeal.
Of course, you would have had to tell him that it was now too late to fix it and charge his team with a time-out. Even if he had been right, we know that AP mistakes cannot be RECTIFIED once the ball has been touched inbounds. They can only be PREVENTED before the throw-in has ended.