The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

If you want total confusion, take a look at what Illinois says we should do. I had a hard time deciphering the presentaion. The "from frontcourt to backcourt" section starts at page 39:

http://www.science.siu.edu/cos/harbe...-mechanics.ppt
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
If you want total confusion, take a look at what Illinois says we should do. I had a hard time deciphering the presentaion. The "from frontcourt to backcourt" section starts at page 39:

http://www.science.siu.edu/cos/harbe...-mechanics.ppt
Actually, I thought this was a pretty good slide show.

Slide 38, however, is not how we are doing it in this area.

Your slide 38 shows the L calling a foul in the frontcourt, opposite table, no FT's and going the other way...the slide then shows the L going back to the backcourt endline, opposite table, to administer the throw-in.
In our association, we have the old L go tableside, report the foul, and then become new C...and the old C becomes the new T administering the ball on the backcourt endline opposite table...old T becomes new L.
The L should go back, (or V-back) when the call is tableside going the other way....not when the L is opposite table going the other way.
Agree or disagree?
Richland, WA
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

Agree or disagree?
Agree or disagree with what?

IL tells us to do it one way; your association tells you to do it another way. Do it as you're taught.

FWIW, the IL way matches the NCAAW (and, I think, NCAAM) mechanic
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Agree or disagree?
Agree or disagree with what?

IL tells us to do it one way; your association tells you to do it another way. Do it as you're taught.

FWIW, the IL way matches the NCAAW (and, I think, NCAAM) mechanic
Calm down Bobby...

I was just asking for input on what other officials thought...maybe even within my own state of WA.
In fact you answered my question quite well, IMO, with your last statement.

I'm due up for a state tournament berth this year...so I'm just trying to clean up some of this 3-whistle stuff...since I've done only 2-whistle most of my career.

Maybe our association is wrong in how we are doing this mechanic...or maybe I misunderstood...so I'll ask again...
How are some of the other associations handling the mechanic illustrated in Slide 38?

Richland, WA
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In our association, we have the old L go tableside, report the foul, and then become new C...and the old C becomes the new T administering the ball on the backcourt endline opposite table...old T becomes new L.
The L should go back, (or V-back) when the call is tableside going the other way....not when the L is opposite table going the other way.
Agree or disagree?
We do it the same way.

L - Tableside
L calls foul in the FC.
L moves to reporting area.
T moves to make the throw-in while L is reporting.
L moves to new L as T is now ready to administer throw-in.

L - Opposite table
L calls foul in the FC.
C moves T to make the throw-in while L is reporting.
L moves to C as T is now ready to administer throw-in.
Old T moves to new L.

The difference in college and high school is that the NF has a defined reporting area. It makes no sense to move to the reporting area and then back to make the throw-in when a partner can already be in place.

Since college really doesn't use a reporting area, it's a different situation. If your high schpool association is not requiring the calling official to move to the reporting area, I guess the college mechanic would work.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Tony, thanks for your response.
However, we don't do it the same way on the tableside FC foul call by L going the other way though.

We do it the same way.

L - Tableside
L calls foul in the FC.
T moves to make the throw-in while L is reporting.
L moves to new L as T is now ready to administer throw-in.

We "V-back" or "no long switch" with the L going back to the endline to administer the throw-in.

L - Opposite table
L calls foul in the FC.
C moves T to make the throw-in while L is reporting.
L moves to C as T is now ready to administer throw-in.
Old T moves to new L

This is the one I had the question about...and it looks like we both do this mechanic the same...which evidently is different than IL...which could be using a college illustration??

BTW, good explanation on the reason college officials may stay put after the foul call, in relation to the reporting area.

Richland, WA
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Calm down Bobby...

I'm plenty calm, thank you.

I just wanted to be sure I understood the question.

Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

I think we may be talking about two different things here.

I realize the book doesn't come out every year...therefore, the current Officials Manual doesn't show proper switches on certain fouls.

BUT, I am talking about the ball going OOB in the frontcourt and going the other way on C's side opposite table.

The following was posted:
In 3-man, the new trail has all back court throws-in. If the ball is to be put in on C's side, the C will go down and become to new L, L pulls back into C, and T crosses the court for the throw-in

If I'm reading this right...it is not what we have been advised to do in this area of the country.

In fact, I mentioned the above quote to a couple of my college official buddies...and they said the way they do it is the old C goes to new L, the old L becomes the new T (administers ball) and the old T (tableside) becomes the new C (tableside).

This "feels" much better...and is how we did it the other night.

Rocky...do you agree?...or are you saying the old T (tableside) crosses the court to administer the throw-in (opposite table)?
The way I read it, both of these procedures are saying exactly the same thing (although one is very convoluted). The difference is that one is going directly from the pre turnover postions to the final postions and the other is starting in the location the official are in before the turnover but labeling what they would be after the turnover (as if the ball had remained inbound as in a steal). Then it makes the adjustment for the location of the ball.

Said another way, the blue one (as I've highlighted above) has the old T first transition to a L by nature of the ball being turned over. However, since the ball is to be thrown in opposite site, that old T/new L instead shifts to the C and the old L/new T must cross the court and the old C/new C instead shifts to the lead.

I've sketched a picture to illustrate this with the colors matching the text highlighted above....

They are not saying the same thing at all.

In the one case, old C is new L, old L is new C, and old T is new T, when the correct mechanic is old C to new L, old L to new T, and old T to new C.