The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

In NCAAW you do not switch if a foul is called in back court unless it is a bonus situation and FT are going to be shot.

As you all probably know by now WA has switched to 3 person in HS this year and since the NF books were printed last year before they switched to the table side reporting everthing regarding swtiching is wrong.

My question is if the T calls a foul in back court are we supposed to do long switches? For example if T is opposite table in back court do we switch with the C or do you just stay put like in NCAAW?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:59am
M.A.S.H.

I think the NFHS has a release about this on their site.
But if you are opposite table you would switch with the C, if you are table side you stay the way you are. That's my understanding

[Edited by tjones1 on Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:19 AM]
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I think the NFHS has a release about this on there site.
But if you are opposite table you would switch with the C, if you are table side you stay the way you are. That's my understanding
tjones1,

If you know where that link is on the NFHS site is, please provide it.

Thanks,

Z
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:15am
Do not give a damn!!

No long switches

Quote:
I think the NFHS has a release about this on there site.
The IHSA does not use long switches. So what the NF has into place does not apply to us necessarily. All that information is on the memo on our personal IHSA webpage.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:16am
M.A.S.H.

This is a release to the IHSA officials about Long-switch:

In addressing the Long Switch mechanic with 3-person crews, there has been some discussion concerning whether or not a switch should occur when a foul is called in a teamÂ’s front-court, there will be no free throws shot, and the subsequent play is going the other way. While officials realize that this year the calling official is to go table side after making his/her call, in any situation where a foul is called, no free throws will be shot, and the play will be going the other way, no long switch needs to occur by the officials in a contest. In the play being described, the calling official simply needs to clear the action on the floor, get to the reporting area and call the foul, and then return to his/her position for the subsequent throw-in.

NFHS Site:
http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...on&head=BT.cfm

I believe that is their release, if the link doesn't work, let me know.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a release to the IHSA officials about Long-switch:

In addressing the Long Switch mechanic with 3-person crews, there has been some discussion concerning whether or not a switch should occur when a foul is called in a teamÂ’s front-court, there will be no free throws shot, and the subsequent play is going the other way. While officials realize that this year the calling official is to go table side after making his/her call, in any situation where a foul is called, no free throws will be shot, and the play will be going the other way, no long switch needs to occur by the officials in a contest. In the play being described, the calling official simply needs to clear the action on the floor, get to the reporting area and call the foul, and then return to his/her position for the subsequent throw-in.

NFHS Site:

I believe that is their release, if the link doesn't work, let me know.

This only talks about communication with the coaches not about switching.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:25am
M.A.S.H.

Sorry about that smoref. I thought I saw something on their site about this, maybe not. I'll continue looking.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:26am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb My interpretation.

I believe the Long Switch in High School is in effect when the Lead calls a foul in the backcourt going to front court with no free throws.

The difference between that and NCAA Women is that the high school reporting area is in the center of the floor while the NCAAW mechanic is to merely clear the players. {A couple steps off the backcourt endline may suffice.}

So, while the high school official is in the reporting area, a partner slides down to administer the throw-in.

mick
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:34am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by smoref
My question is if the T calls a foul in back court are we supposed to do long switches? For example if T is opposite table in back court do we switch with the C or do you just stay put like in NCAAW?
If you mean L, yes the Lead goes to table-side to report and becomes New T or New C [tableside], depending on spot.
If you mean T, then T switches with C [tableside] and goes to New L, or New C, depending on the spot. This is not a "Long Switch".
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As you can see, different organizations do it differently.

We would have no "long switch" no matter who called the foul. Slide or bump-and-run depending on the throw-in spot and the location of the officials relative to that spot before the foul. IOW, treat the subsequent throw-in just as if the offense had committed a violation at that spot instead of a foul.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:04pm
Esteemed Participant

In WA, you will only switch if the L is opposite the table when they make the call...if L is already table-side, report the foul, and then go back to your original position (but you are now the new Trail)...the phrase used in the WIAA/WOA training sessions was "V-back"...

SO: Lead calls an illegal screen table-side, steps out and reports foul, steps back and inbounds ball as new T...

But: Lead calls an illegal screen opposite side, steps out to report and then becomes the new C, and old C goes down to handle the inbound and be new Trail...

Hope this helps...
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
In WA, you will only switch if the L is opposite the table when they make the call...if L is already table-side, report the foul, and then go back to your original position (but you are now the new Trail)...the phrase used in the WIAA/WOA training sessions was "V-back"...

SO: Lead calls an illegal screen table-side, steps out and reports foul, steps back and inbounds ball as new T...

But: Lead calls an illegal screen opposite side, steps out to report and then becomes the new C, and old C goes down to handle the inbound and be new Trail...

Hope this helps...
Thank you Rocky,

That is what I was looking for. We were talking about it in our pre-game last night and nobody was sure what the WIAA wants us to do. It was a no league game so it wasn't a big deal but we want to have this down before dist. and state
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
[B
Thank you Rocky,

That is what I was looking for. We were talking about it in our pre-game last night and nobody was sure what the WIAA wants us to do. It was a no league game so it wasn't a big deal but we want to have this down before dist. and state [/B]
No problem - it's a little unclear unless you were at one of the WIAA/WOA camps...where in the state are you???
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Throw in question (3-whistle)

Rocky,
Good description of the V-back...that's what we have been doing per the WOA clinics.

Another question concerning 3-whistle:

Sideline throw-in in backcourt opposite side going to frontcourt...C's side.
Would old C administer the throw-in as new trail and "force" the old L to become new C and old T become new L opposite table?

Diagram 50 Page 66 in the Officials Manual shows this...just wondering if this also applies if it was C's side. (opposite table)

So as a general rule...do we administer throw-ins if the ball goes OOB on our sideline no matter which way we are going?

Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Throw in question (3-whistle)

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Rocky,
So as a general rule...do we administer throw-ins if the ball goes OOB on our sideline no matter which way we are going?
In 3-man, the new trail has all back court throws-in. If the ball is to be put in on C's side, the C will go down and become to new L, L pulls back into C, and T crosses the court for the throw-in.