Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: PA

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Pennsylvania (PIAA) has just adopted the 14 foot box this year. I've been to 4 scrimmages so far (our season does not start until Friday night) and only 2 of the schools had boxes on the court...only one of which was in a correct position. We have been told in PA to be strict w/ the coaches in the box, especially w/ NFHS going to Table Side Mechanics this year. Head coaches can be up in the box at any time coaching, but if they are out and "not coaching" (as in giving you an earful), they can pretty much expect a T...tolerance is supposed to be low. Also, any direct or indirect T to the coach from beginning of officials' jurisdiction (i.e., includes pre-game dunking T, etc) results in coach being given the seatbelt rule for the remainder of the game.
Whee! Pennsylvania finally gets with the times. I started there as a college freshman working subvarsity HS games...less than 20 years ago.

I will be happy when they turn the 14 foot box into a 28 foot box myself. I had a wanderer last night (who was a whopping 2 steps out of the box towards the baseline), but I simply can't remember the last time I even mentioned the coaching box to the head coach. "Being strict" and having "low tolerance" to me seems unnecessarily combative.

And tableside is GREAT. If you can't have a quiet talk with a coach after calling a foul, well, you'll have to figure out how this season.

--Rich
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: PA

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

I will be happy when they turn the 14 foot box into a 28 foot box myself. I had a wanderer last night (who was a whopping 2 steps out of the box towards the baseline), but I simply can't remember the last time I even mentioned the coaching box to the head coach. "Being strict" and having "low tolerance" to me seems unnecessarily combative.

You can get the coach back in his box without being combative at all. Our state just went from a 6-foot box to a 14-foot box. The interpreter's said, "we had a 6-foot box and then officials gave them 10-feet. Now we have a 14-foot box and you darn well better keep it at 14-feet." It's easy to wave them back in or just give them that knowing look without being combative. If he was 2 steps out the box, you're on your way to your wish because you just made it an 18-foot box. Managing the coaches box is an art just like dealing with coaches at tableside is.

And tableside is GREAT. If you can't have a quiet talk with a coach after calling a foul, well, you'll have to figure out how this season.

Agreed.

Z

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: PA

I agree with you Zebra as far as looking the coach back into the box, and we have been told to use that sparingly, but he better be coaching his team if he's straying outside the box. And I love the tableside mechanics.

Rich, where did you go to school in PA? I'm a senior at Pitt right now (Hail to Pitt!)