The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I had the 2nd and 3rd games of my officiating career last night. It was bad. First up were the 8th grade s. It was the slowest basketball game I have ever seen. I have seen 5-6th grade gils church league with more talent. Then it got crazy. I was administering the throw in to start the second quarter. One of the girs reached over the line and slapped the ball of the other players hand. I gave her T. My first.

In the 2nd quarter during a ball two of the s were separated by the captains. No contact or anything, they were just mad at each other. A few minutes later during another ball one of the s pushed the other player who pushed back. My partner and I got between them and I ejected both of them. We did not have another problem with players going after each other the rest of the game.

At halftime the home coach came up and told us that several of his players saw one of the s with a knife blade. We talked to the other coach and he said he would take care of it. This made the home coach upset. He said that it was like a criminal checking a criminal. My partner said we could not be patting every one down and since there was no security we would just have to have the coach take care of it.

The boy’s game was like a piece of cake after the s game.

Although I don't think I missed much in the s game, I didn't feel very good about it. I think the level of play really affected the way I feel about my performance. I did not feel as focused as I have for my other games.

[Edited by gostars on Dec 1st, 2004 at 02:07 PM]
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

You handled that well, I wouldn't recommend frisking players to check for weapons.

What's the world coming to when you have a reported weapon carried by the players at an 8th grade girls game.

Is there a reason why girls seems to be missing everytime you seem to have written it?? Just curious about that one.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Hang in there, the worst games will bring the best out in you!
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 03:26pm
M.A.S.H.

Hang in there. Most important, although it sounds like a sloppy game it also sounds like you handled yourself very well! You and your partner got together on something you were unsure about and that's what you are suppose to do! Nice job. Don't let this get you down. Just continue to do the things you do and keep working on one thing at a time. You'll be fine!

T Jones
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Don't get too discouraged. Sometimes its in what feels like your worst game because of ad play, weird circumstances, etc. that you have actually done some really good work. This sounds like the game that none of us ever want to have.
I'm curious, too. Why is the word girl deleted every time?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Don't get too discouraged. Sometimes its in what feels like your worst game because of ad play, weird circumstances, etc. that you have actually done some really good work. This sounds like the game that none of us ever want to have.
I'm curious, too. Why is the word deleted every time?
I have no idea. I will go back and fix it. Silly computers.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Bad Night

Seems as though girls games tend to be more rowdy nowadays than boys for some reason, both from the fan side and player side. Make them all play in skirts again and they will have a little humility then.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Re: Bad Night

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRefinator
Make them all play in skirts again and they will have a little humility then.

That was a very poor joke.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
Then it got crazy. I was administering the throw in to start the second quarter. One of the girls reached over the line and slapped the ball. I gave her T. My first.
Why did she slap the ball out of your hand? Was it intentional?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Then it got crazy. I was administering the throw in to start the second quarter. One of the s reached over the line and slapped the ball. I gave her T. My first.
She did not slap the ball out of my hand. She slapped it out of the hand of the who was throwing it in. Since they had been reaching over the line already that night I had just reminded the defender to back up and not reach. Obviously the message did not get through .
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Then it got crazy. I was administering the throw in to start the second quarter. One of the s reached over the line and slapped the ball. I gave her T. My first.
She did not slap the ball out of my hand. She slapped it out of the hand of the girl who was throwing it in. Since they had been reaching over the line already that night I had just reminded the defender to back up and not reach. Obviously the message did not get through .
Okay.

But that ain't what you said.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Bad Night

Quote:
Quote:

No, the poor joke is an eigth grader brandishing a knife or the eigth grader smoking pot and so on and so on...... Seems like the kids today lack just that, HUMILITY. My comments were pertaining to the troublemakers in the situation and should be taken as such.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Re: Bad Night

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, the poor joke is an eigth grader brandishing a knife or the eigth grader smoking pot and so on and so on...... Seems like the kids today lack just that, HUMILITY. My comments were pertaining to the troublemakers in the situation and should be taken as such.
If it's KIDS your concerned about, and not just girls, then ALL 8th graders should wear skirts to teach them humility. Why restrict the maturity and growth to girls?!
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Night

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If it's KIDS your concerned about, and not just girls, then ALL 8th graders should wear skirts to teach them humility. Why restrict the maturity and growth to girls?!
Tell him girl!

It was a sexist remark. Humility has nothing to do with smoking pot or brandishing knives.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 1st, 2004 at 11:13 AM]
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev

I'm curious, too. Why is the word girl deleted every time?
because they don't play basketball. Just ask Rut!

I kind of like the term s games. I may start just using s, whenever I have to type girls from now on.