The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started officiating HS basketball, I was extremely quick to bang a coach for complaining about calls. I quickly learned that I needed to have some thicker skin.

As I have improved over the last few years, I have more confidence in my calls and in turn, complaints from coaches don't seem to affect me as much. As long as they don't get personal or profane, I haven't really been hitting them with 'T's.

Recently I was observed and it was suggested that I might be taking too much from coaches and I should think about working on that. Does anyone have any advice on defining the "line" that coaches can't cross?
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

I probably would fall in your category. I know that I will give the coaches some latitude as long as thye are not geting personal, that is an instant T.

I will admit, I tune them out pretty good, and it is only after a game some one will ask me why I didn't whack them, it is usually becuase I didn't hear.

I actually gave more yellow cards to coaches in volleyball this year, than I have T's.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm wrong but I try to listen to the coaches if they are semi reasonable and then give them a I hear you coach or I'll keep an eye on that.I've given one "T" this season and had only a few arguements.Now by same token I'm not going to listen to same complaint over and over.It seems after I say thats enough after aknowledging the first complaint the coach shuts up.I have heard a lot of coaches speak at clinics and such say they hate to be ignored so I try to at least listen within reason.Please correct me if anyone feels i am wrong.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCBroncos
When I first started officiating HS basketball, I was extremely quick to bang a coach for complaining about calls. I quickly learned that I needed to have some thicker skin.

As I have improved over the last few years, I have more confidence in my calls and in turn, complaints from coaches don't seem to affect me as much. As long as they don't get personal or profane, I haven't really been hitting them with 'T's.

Recently I was observed and it was suggested that I might be taking too much from coaches and I should think about working on that. Does anyone have any advice on defining the "line" that coaches can't cross?
To start the year, I fell into the bang-em early, bang-em often category. I found that this strategy in controlling coaches doesn't work. I have adopted this as my "line in the sand". I don't care if coaches question my calls.

My line that I draw is this: If the coaches chirping begins to annoy me, I'll stop it with "Alright coach, I've heard enough" and I'll show them the stop sign. Every night, this line is a little different. After that the coach knows he is close the line. After the first warning and when it gets annoying I will say, "COACH! ENOUGH!!". After that, it's T-time. I haven't had one since I took this approach!

Also, I will usually "T" a coach if his/her behavior is demonstrative, excessive, and/or incites the crowd. If a coach is overly demonstrative in his protest, I will issue a T. (Wildly throwing his hands up and out toward me like a call was crap, throwing anything with the intent of showing disgust, etc.) I figure when a coach ACTS like an out-of-control child, it's time for coach to get "TIME-OUT" T-TIME. He can sit the rest of the game.

Do you remember the Sienfeld Episode where George gets the nickname "COCO" because he is wildly flailing his arms around because he wants to be known as "T-bone"? I will typically "T" for that kind of childish behavior.

I was once admonished by an AD not to let a coach get a "T" to get his team fired up. You want a T? You're not getting one coach! Has anyone else ever been told that and followed that advice?
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I like to use a little game awareness. Perhaps this is the wrong approach as a first year official, but it seems to work for me -- I feel comfortable with it anyway. If the score's close late in the game (4th quarter), I'll usually go to an irate coach with something like "Coach, do you want your girls/guys to lose a chance to win this game because of a technical foul?" Usually the coach will utter some last half-hearted comment and be quiet the rest of the game....and by doing this I feel that I have placed a little of the course of outcome on his/her shoulders. Of course, if it's a blowout or early in the game and the schmuck won't shut up, whack 'em!
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
I was once admonished by an AD not to let a coach get a "T" to get his team fired up. You want a T? You're not getting one coach! Has anyone else ever been told that and followed that advice?
"Sorry, Coach. If I have to stay for the rest of this, so do you."
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

I use a couple of criteria for Ts with a coach. There are untouchable subjects: My wife, my mother, my ancestry, cheating, or my integrity. Other automatics: swearing loud enough, belittling me to his team, charging at me, excessive demonstration or yelling at me out of the box.

As for the rest of the time, you have to use some discretion. Is the nagging to the point that you cannot concentrate? Has the coach not let go of something that went on too long ago in the game? Is the coach interfering with your work? These types of scenarios need to be dealt with. Don't necessarily have to T the guy, but you need to get it stopped. Talk to them, use the stop sign, etc. to deal with them if you can. Maybe you just need to stay away from the coach for a while. As is most of what we do out there, dealing with coaches is much more an art than a science.

Good Luck!!
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 11:08pm
Administrator

I remember reading an article in Referee Magazine a long time ago where Hank Nichols was asked his criteria for calling T's on coaches and his answer was "when he acts like a jerk." It doesn't get any better than that.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

I have a confession of sorts to throw out there.

I hate giving T's. I think they disrupt the game and draw attention to us. I try to avoid them until absolutly needed. I think this is why I hate admin T's even more, and I have had to dish out 3 of those this year.

I think this is why I have the a great ability to not hear the coach.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 05:17pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I think this is why I have the a great ability to not hear the coach.
Brian,

Respectfully, I think that this approach will hurt you in the long run. You have to hear the coach. No, you shouldn't have 'rabbit ears', but you have to know what is going on and give technicals when necessary.

I have watched far too many officials take crap from coaches who are WAY across the line. If a coach does something which warrants a technical - give it to him!

This may or may not apply to you, but I usually cringe when I hear officials say, "I never hear the coaches." or "I don't pay any attention to them.", etc. More often than not this means that game management will be non-existant!

Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I hate giving T's. I think they disrupt the game and draw attention to us. I try to avoid them until absolutly needed. I think this is why I hate admin T's even more, and I have had to dish out 3 of those this year.
I hate when admin Ts occur, but from your perspective as a ref, these should be the easiest even though they disrupt the game. There is no question of was it bad enough to warrant a T, as there is when you whack a coach for excessive demonstration. Admin Ts draw attention to the bozo that screwed up, not the ref. And I hope you are not passing on any automatic Ts, such as plane violations, admin Ts, etc.

We had a pair this weekend that passed on two automatic Ts for violating the plane (yes, I mean violations #2 and #3). The first violation occurred in the first half. The second and third occurred within 2 minutes of each other in 4th quarter. After the second, I asked trail "Isn't that a T, second violation?" He ignored me. I turned toward lead, and asked him if this wasn't the second violation because he administered first half warning. Lead threatened me with a T because I had been one step out of the box when I asked my question of trail (at the time I asked lead, I was back in the box - believe me, I looked right down when he made the comment).

I should emphasize that I had made no comments about any calls all day and did this as non-confrontationally as possible in the form of a question. Other team as usual is riding refs. Lead had an attitude all game (and has in previous games as well), so I didn't even ask for the T when he warned our opponents for yet a third violation two minutes after the second. On this one, they actually reached over on our baseline inbounds, tipped the pass and prevented an easy layup by our wide-open center (in a two-point game) - there are reasons for these rules. I wish that they would be enforced evenly. The night before, we got banged because my manager put the wrong number in the book for one of our starters - he has a printed roster, so don't ask cause I don't know! I didn't complain, it's an automatic. We also had a player that consistently broke the plane rule, to the point of getting T'd out of one game. She learned, and hasn't had a violation since, and I never complained about the calls - just talked to her about self control. Let 'em shoot, and let's play ball. But please call them all.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
We also had a player that consistently broke the plane rule, to the point of getting T'd out of one game. She learned, and hasn't had a violation since, and I never complained about the calls - just talked to her about self control. Let 'em shoot, and let's play ball. But please call them all.
Isn't a plane violation a team technical? 10-1-10: "Following the team warning for delay in 9-2-11, commit a violation of the throw-in boundary-line plane."
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
We also had a player that consistently broke the plane rule, to the point of getting T'd out of one game. She learned, and hasn't had a violation since, and I never complained about the calls - just talked to her about self control. Let 'em shoot, and let's play ball. But please call them all.
Isn't a plane violation a team technical? 10-1-10: "Following the team warning for delay in 9-2-11, commit a violation of the throw-in boundary-line plane."
Yes, a plane violation after a warning is team technical. But if B1 touches the ball while the thrower A1 is still holding the ball, it's technical foul on B1 and a team warning, if a warning hasn't already been issued.

But a player shouldn't be ejected for breaking the plane.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Guess I shoulda complained in the first instance as well.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
On the subject of T-ing coaches, give me a little advice on this one:

This is from the horrible game I had on Sunday (see thread below titled "Humiliation"). I'm trail, table-side. A1(red) throws a bad pass, B1(white) jumps up to grab it, but misses completely (in my opinion), and the ball goes sailing oob. I blow the whistle, and ofcourse before I can say anything, all the girls are hinting, "White! White!" "She touched it!" "Red ball" etc. I call "White ball" The A (red) coach yells, "Did you call that or did she?" He meant a white player.

Now, does that question my integrity? does it question my competence? If I had called a T, then when things got ugly, I could have tossed him. But of course I couldn't know that ahead of time. At the time of the comment, I felt that giving a T would be stooping to his level and I just ignored it. I know, I know, I ended up stooping even lower, later.

What should I have done?