The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Tournament game this past weekend, before the tip, both coaches saw the need to come to all 3 officials to warn us of <> acts that their opponent is "known" to do. I asked my partner what was his comment and we all told both coaches that "we'll watch".

Then from the tip on, they were both in our ear. Nothing bad just begging for some calls. It eventually became very tiresome and a bit distracting. I discussed this one with the wife and she suggested I reply to the coaches with something like: "coach, the best way to get my attention, is to not try and work me for a call". Certainly, this is not the first time and won't be the last, that's why I want to find out how some of you handle these coaches. You can't ignore a dripping faucet.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 09:19am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Tournament game this past weekend, before the tip, both coaches saw the need to come to all 3 officials to warn us of <> acts that their opponent is "known" to do. I asked my partner what was his comment and we all told both coaches that "we'll watch".

Then from the tip on, they were both in our ear. Nothing bad just begging for some calls. It eventually became very tiresome and a bit distracting. I discussed this one with the wife and she suggested I reply to the coaches with something like: "coach, the best way to get my attention, is to not try and work me for a call". Certainly, this is not the first time and won't be the last, that's why I want to find out how some of you handle these coaches. You can't ignore a dripping faucet.

I haven't had the coaches "attack" me and a partner(s) before like they did to you, but Daryl Long (who posts here from time-to-time) and is a regular partner of mine taught me a great repsonse when A1 comes up to me with the same complaint. When A1 comes to the official and starts to tell him that B1 is doing this or that, the official should stop A1 in his tracks and ask that A1 tell the official what players on Team A do this or that. This never fails to stop A1.

Way back in 1984 (It was the last H.S. game of the 83-84 season, and the game was in Los Angeles.), my partner (Mark, see thread on religious head scarves.) had a boys' H.S. varsity game. I was the R. Literally, as the ball went up for the opening tip, the Home Coach was on my case and the Visiting Coach was on Mark's case. When the first quarter came to and end, I told Mark that I was going to take care of this right now. Mark and I got both coaches together and I told them that it was obvious that best place in the gym to officiate the game was for me to be sitting on the Home Bench and for Mark to be sitting on the Visiting Bench. Both coaches started to complain. I didnt' let them get started, but they got the picture and we didn't hear a word from them the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
After hearing too much too early...

Me (with a smile): "Coach, I'll watch for it. Although it may seem like it, I don't need your help tonight. OK? Just coach your team."
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Coach of Team A comes up to partner and myself before a game, and starts telling us all the nasty things Team B does. I said, "Coach, what a coincidence. Team B was just telling us the same things about you."
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I start with "Coach, I'll watch for it."

As the game progresses, I will respond as I am able to legitimate questions, but if they keep up the continual nitpicking to the point it becomes annoying or distracting, my next action is the "stop sign" and and "Coach, I've heard enough."

If that doesn't stop it, my next step is penalizing under 10-4-1-b.

I've never been able to figure out why some coaches seem to think that continually harrassing the officials will gain them some type of advantage.......
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 04:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

There's an "urban legend" about a rec league game around here in which a ref responded to this type of bench jockeying from a coach. I think it happened about 6 or 7 years ago in an 8th grade boys game (and no - it wasn't Dave or me, although it sounds like something either one of us could have done).

Coach A had been on both refs from the start. One of the refs was a newbie, but the other a veteran. When A1 was driving for a breakaway layup, the veteran blew his whistle to stop play. He walked over to Coach A and said something like, "A few minutes ago, you complained about a foul call. You may have had a point. Let's discuss it." He then sat down next to the coach. He continued, "In fact, this may take a few minutes. Maybe we better send out for coffee." Apparently, Coach A couldn't figure out what the h-e-double hockey sticks was going on. The ref then went back out on the floor.

Coach A kept it up, so the ref did it two more times, both times when a player on A was going to have an easy score.

The legend is that the coach promised to not say a single word for the rest of the game.

I don't know who won.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
There is very little chance that both coaches came to you at the same time. So. . .

As soon as the first coach starts to say, "You gotta watch these guys b/c they always. . .", you say, "Hold on, Coach. Let's get Coach B over here so we can all get on the same page."

Then actually walk over to the other coach and huddle with both of them. "Ok, Coach A, what were you concerned about tonight?" Guess how much he'll want to tallk? Problem solved.

Don't even give him the satisfaction of "we'll watch for it" b/c he'll think he's in your head. Get in his head first. I've done it and it really will work.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
There is very little chance that both coaches came to you at the same time. So. . .

As soon as the first coach starts to say, "You gotta watch these guys b/c they always. . .", you say, "Hold on, Coach. Let's get Coach B over here so we can all get on the same page."

Then actually walk over to the other coach and huddle with both of them. "Ok, Coach A, what were you concerned about tonight?" Guess how much he'll want to tallk? Problem solved.

Don't even give him the satisfaction of "we'll watch for it" b/c he'll think he's in your head. Get in his head first. I've done it and it really will work.
My exact thought, Chuck. Oh boy, guess I better start being a little concerned about the way I officiate.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

That's precisely what I do. As you say. It closes that door immediately. It let's them know right away that that stunt will not work. It leads to a smoother game since you've already demonstrated that you are firm and impartial.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

That's Golden
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 09:15am
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:

Chuck:

You are absolutely correct. I have used this technique in the past and you would be suprised how fast Coach A loses his ability to talk.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I like it Chuck! Haven't had it happen very often, but will file it away in the memory banks for the next time it does.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck

I used that stratagey last week and it would just like it always has, PERFECTLY. But it only works before the game or at halftime.

As for the second part of your questions Chrissportsfan - when a coach is none stop during the game I do a number of different things. I have gone as far as telling a college coach that he is like the boy who cried wolf, I have just stopped believing him because he has a comment or complaint ever possession. I often also say that we as a crew are working hard and the coach is being a distraction. I am amazed oh well coaches respond when I tell them they are distracting me from doing my job. This really works well in the second half when there team is on offense in front of their bench. I will say something like "I really have to believe that you want my full attention on the play - and I am having a hard time doing that with your comments."

Every coach, games and situation is different but those have worked well for me.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I like it, Chuck. I will add it to my bag o' tricks.