View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Tournament game this past weekend, before the tip, both coaches saw the need to come to all 3 officials to warn us of <> acts that their opponent is "known" to do. I asked my partner what was his comment and we all told both coaches that "we'll watch".
There is very little chance that both coaches came to you at the same time. So. . .

As soon as the first coach starts to say, "You gotta watch these guys b/c they always. . .", you say, "Hold on, Coach. Let's get Coach B over here so we can all get on the same page."

Then actually walk over to the other coach and huddle with both of them. "Ok, Coach A, what were you concerned about tonight?" Guess how much he'll want to tallk? Problem solved.

Don't even give him the satisfaction of "we'll watch for it" b/c he'll think he's in your head. Get in his head first. I've done it and it really will work.
That's precisely what I do. As you say. It closes that door immediately. It let's them know right away that that stunt will not work. It leads to a smoother game since you've already demonstrated that you are firm and impartial.