View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 09:19am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Tournament game this past weekend, before the tip, both coaches saw the need to come to all 3 officials to warn us of <> acts that their opponent is "known" to do. I asked my partner what was his comment and we all told both coaches that "we'll watch".

Then from the tip on, they were both in our ear. Nothing bad just begging for some calls. It eventually became very tiresome and a bit distracting. I discussed this one with the wife and she suggested I reply to the coaches with something like: "coach, the best way to get my attention, is to not try and work me for a call". Certainly, this is not the first time and won't be the last, that's why I want to find out how some of you handle these coaches. You can't ignore a dripping faucet.

I haven't had the coaches "attack" me and a partner(s) before like they did to you, but Daryl Long (who posts here from time-to-time) and is a regular partner of mine taught me a great repsonse when A1 comes up to me with the same complaint. When A1 comes to the official and starts to tell him that B1 is doing this or that, the official should stop A1 in his tracks and ask that A1 tell the official what players on Team A do this or that. This never fails to stop A1.

Way back in 1984 (It was the last H.S. game of the 83-84 season, and the game was in Los Angeles.), my partner (Mark, see thread on religious head scarves.) had a boys' H.S. varsity game. I was the R. Literally, as the ball went up for the opening tip, the Home Coach was on my case and the Visiting Coach was on Mark's case. When the first quarter came to and end, I told Mark that I was going to take care of this right now. Mark and I got both coaches together and I told them that it was obvious that best place in the gym to officiate the game was for me to be sitting on the Home Bench and for Mark to be sitting on the Visiting Bench. Both coaches started to complain. I didnt' let them get started, but they got the picture and we didn't hear a word from them the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio