View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 04:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

There's an "urban legend" about a rec league game around here in which a ref responded to this type of bench jockeying from a coach. I think it happened about 6 or 7 years ago in an 8th grade boys game (and no - it wasn't Dave or me, although it sounds like something either one of us could have done).

Coach A had been on both refs from the start. One of the refs was a newbie, but the other a veteran. When A1 was driving for a breakaway layup, the veteran blew his whistle to stop play. He walked over to Coach A and said something like, "A few minutes ago, you complained about a foul call. You may have had a point. Let's discuss it." He then sat down next to the coach. He continued, "In fact, this may take a few minutes. Maybe we better send out for coffee." Apparently, Coach A couldn't figure out what the h-e-double hockey sticks was going on. The ref then went back out on the floor.

Coach A kept it up, so the ref did it two more times, both times when a player on A was going to have an easy score.

The legend is that the coach promised to not say a single word for the rest of the game.

I don't know who won.