The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 04:55pm
M.A.S.H.

Congrats Clark on your first game! You will be fine and I know this because reading your posts it certainly sounds like you've been working hard! As always, you've got to report back to us how everything goes Saturday! Happy Thanksgiving all!!! Take care.

T Jones
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

I will give a full report

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the encouragement.

Clark
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

OK, so I worked my 3rd scrimmage ever tonite--and something crazy happened.

I would up working 3 man on the varsity scrimmage for the Palo Verde HS vs. Clark HS game. Palo Verde HS won the state championship last year.

It happened like this. I got there early. There was a 4 and a 6 pm game. I thought the early game was the frosh/JV games. But instead the 4 pm game was the varsity game.

Only 2 other officials showed up and it was clear that the coaches wanted 3 man and we were going to give them 3 man. I said "Hey, I hardly know 2 man, and I dont know jack about 3 man, but I am in if you need me." Well, they needed me and I wound up working the game.

It was a blast!

Of the other two officials, one was a senior guy (who was real cool), and the other was his son who had 2 years experience but had never worked 3 man, let alone 3 man on the most competitive and physically dominating team (a couple of the kids on PV were HUGE! At least 2 are going on to serious D1 ball next year).

On top of that, THE lead assigner (a guy named Rick Massey, super cool guy) showed up and another seniour guy (Vince) showed up, I guess thinking there would be some officials there to evaluate who want to move up. So here I am a total newbie working 3 man which I dont know on what is without a doubt the most competitive and athletic team I will ref for several years to come. There were dunks galore. And there sits the assigner himself.

Luckily he and the other senior guy (Vince) had nice things to say and I think perhaps were a little impressed that I was ready and willing (though probably not truly able ) to just jump in and give it a go. I then stayed and worked the JV game (2 man) and got to work the whole game. So I got a ton of whistle time tonite which was great. I learned a ton. I had several real senior guys helping me. It was great. I saw a noticable improvment in my calls, how I did my signals and how I reported. Plus, I started to really communicate with my partner--stop sign for subs, watching the clock, aware of last shot situations.

I blew my share of calls

Here was a bad one, right in front of the assigner. Guy in the post has the ball, defender reaches just as player spins, there is contact. I whistle it on the ground. I should have no called it since the guy would have easily freed himself for a dunk. By calling the foul I actually penalized the offensive player--now they have a throw in instead of a dunk. I knew it the second I called it. The lead assigner came over to me and asked me about that call. I told him what I just said. I said I should have held my whistle. He smiled and agreed and said it was good that I recognized that I should have held it. There were a bunch more, but I always had a good partner and I dont think I did any major damage

All in all a super great learning experience.

[Note: I posted some of this in the "Accidental 3 Man" thread]

Clark
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 01:07am
M.A.S.H.

What you probably found is that it is a lot faster pace. And at the beginning of 3-man you probably thought it was a pain. BUT once you get the flow it is great.
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Boy the pace of that game was real fast.

I'm sure 3 man is great. I dont know enough to know how good it is. But I did notice this. I like 3 man in that I like having the far side covered. It is so nice to have a C there to get that action away from the T side.

Clark
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie
Boy the pace of that game was real fast.

I'm sure 3 man is great. I dont know enough to know how good it is. But I did notice this. I like 3 man in that I like having the far side covered. It is so nice to have a C there to get that action away from the T side.

Clark
Good job Clark. Many officials got their first varsity action because of a mix-up by someone else. Sounds like you did just great. Just reading your posts, it's obvious that you understanding of the game from an official's point of view is far better than most newbies. Keep it up.

Z
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Thanks.

But if I understand anything it is only because I have had a bunch of senior guys really help me out and point me in the right direction.

Clark
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I blew my share of calls

...I knew it the second I called it. The lead assigner came over to me and asked me about that call.

...He smiled and agreed and said it was good that I recognized that I should have held it. There were a bunch more, but I always had a good partner and I dont think I did any major damage

All in all a super great learning experience.

Sounds to me like it was a call...but you are starting to get a feel for advantage/disadvantage.

My opinion...you didn't kick this one...just learning a better way to handle it.

Keep up the good work...sounds like you're getting better (and the attention of some people).

Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

The attention was accidental, but it sure was nice. I think the assigner was there because an official at our meeting on Monday was grousing that there werent any senior guys at his scrimmage to evaluate him so he could advance. So I think the assigner showed up at the Palo Verde scrimmage thinking that since this was the "best" scrimmage in that PV won State last year this would be the best competition and the best chance to evaluate officials looking to move up. I hate to admit it, but I had no idea they won state last year and wasnt hoping to get anyone's eye. I just happen to live right by that school so I picked that scrimmage so I could leave a little early from work, see my wife and daughter quickly and then just walk over to the scrimmage. I had no idea the assigner would be there and that this would be probably the most competitve and physical game I will be a part of for several years.

I just got lucky.

As far as getting better, I do feel that I improved significantly this last scrimmage. But I chalk that up to two things: 1) having some senior guys there to help me directly; since there were not really any other newbies there I got all their help; and 2) I got a ton of whistle time. We werent rotating newbies in every 5 minutes. I ran 2 20 minute periods with the varsity and then 4 or 5 straight 10 minute running periods with the JV team. That was alot of work! Just knowing that I would be the only newbie running and that I didnt have to come out soon let me get comfortable and in the flow. That made a huge difference.

Clark

[Edited by totalnewbie on Nov 25th, 2004 at 04:04 PM]
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Terrific!! Glad you had such a great experience. Keep it us and keep us informed!

My two sense!
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

I have a scrimmage tomorrow and then my first real game on Saturday.

Clark
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a scrimmage tomorrow and then my first real game on Saturday.

Clark
Good luck on Saturday. Get a good night's sleep tonight. I was so excited/nervous the night before my first scheduled HS game that I got very little sleep and it really affected my game.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. That is good advice. I have a final scrimmage this evening so that should help me get some sleep. But I will probably have a hard time sleeping too

Clark
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I don't know if I'll get to do my first game today, massive snowstorm here.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I had my final scrimmage last night. I worked the whole freshman game with my buddy who is also a new ref. We were the only ones for that game so I got to R and he was U. My first toss went well . A senior official who has been mentoring the both of us was there in civilian clothes to give us pointers and help, which was great. We both improved a good deal. Then I stayed and ran 2 8 minutes quarters in 3 man with the varsity just for fun. There were only 2 refs for the varsity and they wanted to do 3 man so they asked if somone would stay.

My game is today at 12. I am getting geared up now and will be heading out in under an hour.

I called my R on Tuesday and havent heard back from him.

Wish me luck!

Clark