The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie

I called my R on Tuesday and havent heard back from him.

Sad, but typical in HS officiating.

Just learned that my game is a go.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Nov 28th, 2004 at 12:20 AM]
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 12:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Calling someone on Tuesday for a Saturday game is a bit premature. Call me Thursday or Friday, fine. But Tuesday?
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Just following orders.

At our Monday meeting, our assigner said to call tomorrow (Tuesday). So I called Tuesday.

As it turns out, my assigned partner gave back the game or for some other reason couldnt make it. Or so I found out when my new partner showed up on Saturday 15 minutes prior to game time. He was a real cool guy and I enjoyed running with him. I'll post more about the game later. But he got the call from the assigner that morning to show up and do the game with me.

Clark
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Calling someone on Tuesday for a Saturday game is a bit premature. Call me Thursday or Friday, fine. But Tuesday?
I make all my calls for the week on Sunday afternoon while I'm watching the NFL. Nobody has a game, so I get most guys/gals at home. If there's any uncertainty on Sunday, I can follow up with a phone call or email later in the week. But it's just much more convenient for me to make 5 or 6 phone calls at once, rather than remember to call throughout the week, when I'm already out at games most nights.

Doesn't make it right or wrong; it's just how I do it.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I make all my calls for the week on Sunday afternoon while I'm watching the NFL. Nobody has a game, so I get most guys/gals at home. If there's any uncertainty on Sunday, I can follow up with a phone call or email later in the week. But it's just much more convenient for me to make 5 or 6 phone calls at once, rather than remember to call throughout the week, when I'm already out at games most nights.

Chuck,
I know several guys here that do it that way too. While it doesn't really serve as a reminder that you have a game the next day or that evening, as a call at work would, it does get the initial contact made. Out here where travel arrangements frequently need to be made by the officials, the advance notice is even preferable.
I guess a reminder call could also be made.
But hey, I'm lucky if the guys that I work with call me at all before the game, and even more fortunate if they ever speak to me again after!
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 01:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:

Sure, sure. I find most of my contact is via email these days. Of course, I work 80% of my games with the same person, so we talk pretty frequently anyway.

Four games in now (3 boys varsity, 1 men's juco) and two more scheduled by the end of November. I can't remember the last time I had six in by the end of November.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I email everyone on Saturday or Sunday for the entire week. If I have a Monday game, I do it on Friday or Saturday. The primary purpose in my communication is to verify that our schedules agree about date, time, and place. If they agree 2 days ahead they'll agree 4 or 5 days ahead.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chuck,
I know several guys here that do it that way too. While it doesn't really serve as a reminder that you have a game the next day or that evening, as a call at work would, it does get the initial contact made. Out here where travel arrangements frequently need to be made by the officials, the advance notice is even preferable.
But hey, I'm lucky if the guys that I work with call me at all before the game, and even more fortunate if they ever speak to me again after!
A reminder?!? I'm not their mother. How do you forget you have a game?!?!?!? Do they forget to go to work too?

My two sense!
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 11:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chuck,
A reminder?!? I'm not their mother. How do you forget you have a game?!?!?!? Do they forget to go to work too?
Well, this is my thought, too -- I have a contract with a date/place/time -- how could I screw this up?

A quick email to arrange travel/meeting time is all that's necessary -- certainly not a "reminder" of anything.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Our association require confirming game date/time/place with our partners. We are penalized a game fee if our partner doesn't show and we didn't attempt to make contact.

It looks bad on the association to have a single referee show up when two are expected.

Plus, there could be a miscommunication in the game details. I've called partners before and found out that they had a different date or that they didn't know they were even on the game.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Plus, there could be a miscommunication in the game details. I've called partners before and found out that they had a different date or that they didn't know they were even on the game.
This is the main thing. Schools and assigners forget to inform everyone when something changes.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Our association require confirming game date/time/place with our partners. We are penalized a game fee if our partner doesn't show and we didn't attempt to make contact.

It looks bad on the association to have a single referee show up when two are expected.

And once a partner called me, and I didn't know that I was on the game. He saved my bacon!
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We are penalized a game fee if our partner doesn't show and we didn't attempt to make contact.
Really? You show up and cover the game solo, your "partner" stays at home and YOU get fined!
BTW, how does your association prove that you didn't attempt to make contact? I'm thinking that this fine doesn't get levied very often.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
We are penalized a game fee if our partner doesn't show and we didn't attempt to make contact.
Really? You show up and cover the game solo, your "partner" stays at home and YOU get fined!
BTW, how does your association prove that you didn't attempt to make contact? I'm thinking that this fine doesn't get levied very often.
They one who doesn't show up gets fined in any case...they don't get paid for the game and they get fined and additional game fee.

The proving is basically honor. When asked directly "Did you contact your partner?" most people are honest.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

TN,
Rave on. We've all been that psyched and pumped and remember our first games. There will be nights that are great and nights you'll wonder why in the world you're doing this. You'll have great partners and the partners from your nightmares some nights. But, if we didn't love it we wouldn't be doing it.
Keep up the posts on how your games go.